Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 01:42 AM

Default The Beautiful Swan...

turns into an ugly duckling on the river. I have to find a fold here, correct?

PP PL$1K 6max

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($489.75)
<font color="#C00000">Button ($1362)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($3695.13)</font>
BB ($2340.5)
UTG ($1636)
MP ($1473.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $10, CO calls $10, Button calls $10, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $20</font>, MP calls $20, CO folds, Button calls $20, Hero calls $20.

Turn: ($130) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $120</font>, Hero calls $120, BB folds, MP calls $60.

River: ($490) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $90</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $200</font>, Hero calls $200, MP folds.

Final Pot: $980

*Shiver* that hand hurts me to look at. I know the river is bad, should I have taken a different line on the turn as well?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: The Beautiful Swan...

Raise it up to the pot limit on the turn. If you get any customers, check call a reasonable bet on the end. Might have to fold to a push there too though if the board pairs like it did.

The turn is ugly. You have people betting and raising and you don't make a move? Unreal. You gotta give one of them credit for at least two pair maybe a set - get money out of them on the turn.

The way you played it the river is a fold.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:26 AM

Yeah, I didn't like the turn either, I had been planning on CRing it, but then thought it would be really obvious I had the str8 if I came over the top of the button's suspicious minraise. Too much fancy thinking.

River is horrible, I can't beat anything he could be holding.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:35 AM

Get into the habit of always fast playing straights. They get counterfeited easily and people really do have a hard time giving you credit for them, even if you do think it's obvious.

You could have folded this on the flop too. That wouldn't have been too bad.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:55 AM

I figured that since it was the nutstr8 if I hit it, no flush draw was out, and I was closing the action that it was an easy call. Of course, thats only if I play correctly when I hit it. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

As for fastplaying str8s, yeah I definitely agree. That is standard for me and was the plan on this hand until the button minraise made me try and get tricky. Which is dumb cause it looks like a set, sets have 10 outs, and by golly it was a set.