Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 07:21 PM

Default River Aggression

I'm working at increasing my river aggression, both with value-betting and finding the right openings to bluff at. Here are a couple recent value-3bets I made. Chip spewage or good? Comments on other streets are appreciated as well.

Villian in the first hand is the reason I am at this table. He is 64VPIP 20.5PFR over 800some hands, also shows no aversion to cold-calling with hands such as 86o or 64o. His post-flop AF is 1.51, which is pretty high for all the crap he is playing. He would have raised on the flop or turn with any hand top pair or better. The fact that he is just calling means he could have any pair, any draw, or well really any two cards.

Converter is messed up, I am UTG, he is button.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB <font color="#A500AF">(Villian)</font> calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Villian calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Villian calls.

River: (5.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>....

Next hand:
Villian here is a little loose, 35VPIP, 14PFR over 250 hands, post flop AF is 1.88, but is really only high on the river, which is 3.17.

I dont know about the PF limp here, maybe I should raise, but the table was pretty passive with the exception of the player who did raise. Also the UTG player was reeeal bad and an attempted isolation raise would be pretty transparent I think and I dont want to be re-isolated. I dont think I like the flop either, but anyways, on to the hand:

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG <font color="#A500AF">(UTG)</font> calls, Hero calls, 1 fold, <font color="#CC3333">Button <font color="#A500AF">(Villian)</font> raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG <font color="#A500AF">(UTG)</font> calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Villian calls.

River: (9.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>....

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Re: River Aggression

bump. anyone?
Old 01-02-2005, 09:25 PM

Hand 2: Why didn't you bet the flop?
Old 01-02-2005, 10:03 PM

Hand 1 is fine. Hand 2 I like calling more.

-SmileyEH
Old 01-03-2005, 05:20 AM

Well, I thought that Hand 1 was a kind of sketchy 3bet because while this villian would call down to the river with anything, this raise means he connected with the river card. Likely holdings being A4, A5 and 23. He could also be completely bluffing thinking he can push me off with the A, but I dont consider that too likely, and in that case he might not pay off the third bet anyways. Also when I 3bet I open myself up to a possible cap which is likely on this board. So I have to be ahead 2/3 of the time here to make this 3bet profitable. As it is, I thought to myself, awwww no way he could have 32 and 3bet, <font color="red">he capped </font> , I called, he had 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for the flopped OESD. AQ no good.

As for the second hand, I dont think I liked the way I played the flop either. At the time my thinking was that if I bet out, going for the bet-reraise, he will just call with his likely overcards. He will also often fold on the turn and I only would get that one small bet. I planned on c/ring any turn other than a Q,K, or A. As it happened, I turned top two. I figured that if he was the type to fold the turn in the bet-the-flop scenario, he would probably still fold the way I played it. If he was going to calldown, he'll still calldown. As for the river, I don't like getting stuck in a read from early in the hand, but I still thought that he just rivered one pair with ak or kq, not a set or two pair, though I was afraid of the AQ straight. Against a standard opponent I could go either way, but against this opponent I believe this is a good 3bet. Opponent called and showed A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for one pair. YAY! ship it.

As it is, I think c/ring the flop might have been the better play on the flop. I do like the river 3bet here, especially considering my opponents tendencies. With his high river aggression level and low raising standards, this is the perfect hand to punish him.

Just my thoughts.