Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 07:47 PM

Default NL Player having fun with limit....

I have been playing the Party $50 NL ring games and party $30-$100 NL SnGs for a little over a year now, and have now decided to give limit a shot. Im 3 tabling 2/4 with a $1500 BR, and using PT as bisonbison outlined in a magnificent post to classify my opponents. Here are a couple of examples of a line that I have really enjoyed bludgeoning the 2/4 competition with, what do you guys think?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 <font color="purple">(MP1)</font> calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB <font color="purple">(BB)</font> calls, MP1 <font color="purple">(MP1)</font> calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, CO folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.50 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to Hero.</font>

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 <font color="purple">(MP2)</font> calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Button <font color="purple">(Button)</font> calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls $2 (All-In), MP2 <font color="purple">(MP2)</font> calls, Button <font color="purple">(Button)</font> calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (11.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, Button bets, Hero calls, MP2 calls.
Final Pot: 11.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 4 BB, between BB, MP2, Button and Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 7.50 BB, between MP2, Button and Hero.</font>
Results in white:
<font color="white">MP2 shows Jc10h
Button shows Ks4s
Button wins $55.50 with a flush, Khigh. </font>
Old 11-01-2004, 08:22 PM

Default Re: NL Player having fun with limit....

bump.........anyone?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:45 PM

Hand 1: Standard.

Hand 2: I usually lead the turn... too often it'll get checked through.

Edit: Hahah. I didn't even notice that you had checkraised the turn on hand 1.

I don't know about this play. As I said, in 2/4, I think you run the risk of getting it checked through on undercard boards against just a few opponents. I don't think the level of competition is high enough yet that you need to get particularly tricky.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:05 PM

Default Here you go

Old 11-01-2004, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Here you go

that's the ugliest cookie I've ever seen
Old 11-01-2004, 11:20 PM

Yeah, I think you were lucky both times that players behind you who showed no aggression in the hand decided to bet the turn so you could c/r them. Most of the time, this turn will get checked through and you've royally failed to protect top pair on the most important street. (and in hand 2, it turns out you were sucked out even with the c/r)

But what do I know -- I don't play NL sit-and-go's.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:58 PM

Well ok noone likes my turn checkraises, dont know if I deserved that post though bdk lol. If you would prefer to tell me why the checkraise attempt is wrong like the others did that would be even cooler than giving me a cookie, anyways i digress. I've noticed that lower limit players always put you on AK when you pf raise, and the pf raise, bet flop, check turn line really looks like I have just Ahigh and am giving up on it. Its worked to induce bets from people with just about any pair. However I understand it still probably isnt the correct play if the risk of it getting checked through is too great. How sure do I have to be that one of my opponents will bet for it to be correct? 75%? More? And in response to private joker, it doesnt matter so much that I got sucked out on, he was calling either way, but I did get him to put in the most possible money with the worst of it so I was happy with that hand. Anyways, I appreciate the responses, especially the non-sarcastic ones. Still learning.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:26 AM

No, the low limit players don't put you on AK, they say to themselves, oh he checked, it's to me... um.... BET BET BET BET BET.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:36 AM

I think one of the reasons why leading out is often prefered to the turn checkraise is that at these limits, especially among loose-passive players, you will see people calling these flops with overcards, bottom pair and a variety of other holdings too weak to bet. These are the type of people who don't want to fold because ten hands ago they folded 39o preflop and the flop came down 339; these are the type of people who call because it's 'just 4 more dollars'.

Against an aggressive player this is a fine play. I think problem is that this will get checked through too often to be profitable against these weakies

[edit: spelling]
Old 11-02-2004, 09:18 AM

Excellent post, Manpower.