Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2004, 05:47 PM

Default AA on Bad Flop

Party $30, 8 left, 25/50 blinds, relevant stacks:
MP1(1725)
Hero(905)
Button(615)
SB(2000)
2 folds, MP1 calls(50), 1 fold, Hero(A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])raises(150), Button calls(150), SB calls(125), 1 fold, MP1 calls(100).

Flop:K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets(325), MP1 calls(325), Hero......?

Whats my action here and why?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Re: AA on Bad Flop

I would have pushed pre-flop. I would probably have pushed postflop, as I can think of much worse flops.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:15 PM

If you call and decide to lay down later, you're going to be really low on chips. You didn't push too much before the flop, so they might not place you on such a strong hand. The 4 queens are all probably clean outs, at worst resulting in a split pot. And, you might still have the best hand. I'm going all-in.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:16 PM

The action after your raise indicates many players are calling pf raises arbitrarily, or raising a lot with mediorcre holdings. Did you know this to be the case before this hand came up? If so, I would have gome for a limp re-raise all in.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:43 PM

Raven- im definitely not pushing preflop so that I can win 125 chips. as for worse flops, other than 3 of one suit, 3 broadway cards is the worst flop for AA in my opinion.
Code- I hadnt noticed any extra looseness preflop, in fact I was very surprised and dissapointed at all the callers. In retrospect a larger raise preflop, maybe to 200, would probably have been better.

To all, what hands do you put the bettor/caller on. The caller especially seems to be playing this rather strangely, if he has two pair or a set a raise would definitely be in order considering the str8 draws out there, unless maybe he foresees an all-in coming from me, and if he is holding a pair/str8 draw, it would be KQ, QJ, or Q10. I wouldn't have played any of those hands in a SNG in his position, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't. Just curious if anyone folds this, I'll post results after a few more replies.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:49 PM

Im inclined to fold this, and its the caller that really worries me. I honestly can't think of 2 hands you beat. After a limper I think a raise to 200 preflop might be a little better here but that is a little nit picky.

edit: PS its a lot easier to say fold on a messageboard than to hit fold in the heat of battle.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:02 PM

I understand your position as it increases the +EV of your AA. This is may be a hole in my game as I would push given the position and the amount of your chips. As you mentioned, a flush flop would cause me more concern. That is what I meant by worse flops.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:56 PM

I'd have raised to more than 150 given the limper- something in the 175-225 range.

You could make a (small) case for folding but I think I push here. However, with a caller, it's probably closer than you like.

Had the SB bet and the MP folded this would be a clear, 100% push.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:19 PM

I was planning on pushing until MP called, then I guess I scared myself out of the pot cause I felt like he had AQ the way he played it. Immediately after I folded I regretted it as I realized it was more likely he had a pair/str8 draw hand. Sure enough he had Q10, and the bettor had Q3 (what the hell was he doing??). So yeah it was a bad laydown, but I did end up taking 3rd in the tourney. Could have maybe got 1st if I had played this right.