Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2004, 07:57 PM

Default Raised on almost every hand pre-flop

Played 2/4 in B&M 2 weeks ago. A player to my immediate right raised almost every hand pre-flop. He would stay in too long after that. I tried to tighten my opening cards whenever he raised. What is the correct play against someone like this? The table was full so I couldn't change seats to get to his right.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Raised on almost every hand pre-flop

Played 2/4 in B&M 2 weeks ago. A player to my immediate right raised almost every hand pre-flop. He would stay in too long after that. I tried to tighten my opening cards whenever he raised. What is the correct play against someone like this? The table was full so I couldn't change seats to get to his right.

You want him on YOUR right.

Think about why
Old 09-04-2004, 08:24 PM

I though if he was to my left and I could count on him raising I could check raise certain hands and re-raise others. Where is the advantage in knowing he will raise frequently if he bets before me?
Old 09-04-2004, 08:32 PM

Okay your at a 3/6 live table, meaning the players behind you and the maniac are probably calling just about every raise anyways.

Under "normal" circumstances you would want this dude on your right so you could isolate him by 3-betting preflop with hands that have showdown strength (AK-AT, KQ-KJ, AA-88 etc...)

Post flop you can use his aggressiveness to yuor advantge by raising to thin the field when you have a weak holding or the pot is big etc......
Old 09-04-2004, 09:22 PM

Yeah, I would think you'd want him to act first. You play tight and just wait for cards good enough to call his raises. Not just the first raise but all the raises you expect from him. I like to see a lot of flops cheap so I wouldn't like the table. If you know he's going to bet, and if you're to the left of him, what's the difference? If you bet he raises you and if you check no one's going to fear your check-raise because he's bullying the table. Why would you want to show strength when he's going to raise for you? He's turning it into a shootout so you need the good showdown cards as previously mentioned.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:51 PM

"You play tight and just wait for cards good enough to call his raises."

Don't you mean RERAISE his raises?

Don't be a calling station thanks.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:08 PM

I don't know. I'd call most of the time pre-flop unless a raise is going to limit the field. Assuming my raise won't limit the field I'd just call and wait for the flop. If I miss the flop I can give it up for less and if I hit the flop the raiser will pay me off. If I can get the field down to just him and me than you're correct. Maybe it's a flaw in my game becaues when the table is passive I get aggressive but when the table is aggressive I get passive. Maybe I call too much instead of raising.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:05 PM

Always reraise with premium hands, particularly against a maniac who is raising far too much. He is too macho to back off when you have him beat. Why would you just call?

You will make mucho $$ on this in the long run.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:11 PM

Maybe you're right. I just like to see the flop before I commit a lot of money to the pot.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:10 PM

Ah ha!

This costs you a lot of money for two reasons:
1) You do not get enough value from your great hand
2) Your win rate with these hands will go up as people fold later in the hand due to your early show of strength (if you continue to bet and raise)