Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-17-2004, 03:45 PM

Default Newbie needs help!

Don't know if I should be posting this here or in beginners forum. Loose aggressive 4/8 in Aruba (after flop you can bet 4 or 8).

I have Q2 in BB. Four players call and I check.
Flop is 4,2,2. I am first to bet with 8. It's raised and re-raised back to me, I call. Three players in pot.
Turn is 4. I check next player bets next player raises, I call.
River is J. I check, next player bets, last player calls, I call.

Other two players turn over 4's.

At what point should I have folded or played differently. All constructive comments appreciated.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Newbie needs help!

Because it was a loose aggressive game and no one raised before the flop, it would be easier to figure either the flop raiser or re-raiser with a 4 (4-5 suited?) or A-2. I would have folded to the turn bet because you have two opponents. You probably have to figure you're beat at that point (possibly dead to the last deuce, in case no one else has it). You didn't mention any suits on the flop, so I also wonder if someone was pumping a four-flush with the raise or re-raise at that point. Regardless, I have to figure at least one of the my opponents either has a deuce with higher kicker or a four, so the turn has wrecked your hand. I'm new to this forum (post #1), so I'd be interested to hear what veterans have to say. Cheers. ...
Old 08-17-2004, 11:22 PM

The fourth deuce didn't scare me since it would have to have been J2 to beat me. Only a 4, J2 or JJ could beat me. Since no one raised pre flop I ruled out JJ.

With 15.5BB in the pot before I called on the turn, I was afraid to fold and see two pair. A flush draw would have been ok. I don't remember exactly but I think the flop was rag. The 4's were the only cards that concerned me at the time.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:30 AM

I think you played this flop well, by betting out, you just got unluckly the 4 came on the turn. On the flop you got the exact situation you wanted, someone( actually two people) with two pair, who would not give you credit for trips, because you bet out. They believe that is an automatic slowplay situation, and think that you would think the same. On the turn after checking, and having it raised after the bet you have to lay down. Even though you just made a full house, your hand is very likely in trouble. With you calling you could have easily been trapped for even more bets, had the bettor on the flop re-raised.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:59 AM

I fold fast when the board pairs the 4. A-4s, A-2s. Actually who cares what hand either of the other players has. the fact is there are 2 players you have to beat and if I am in this position I have to ask myself what is the likelihood that someone has a four? In a game sucha as you describe it is very easy to attribute a hand like A-4/A-2s. To me this is like drawing to the ignorant end of a straight. I may be giving up a bit by folding but I firmly believe I'll make it up when I am the one with the four and someone else has the duece.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:06 AM

Were you just calling the flop 3-bet intending to c/r the turn (obviously if a different card had fallen)?
Old 08-18-2004, 12:35 PM

I might have been wrong in the number of bets after the flop. It might have been capped. Had the four not fallen I planned on betting and raising not check raising.