Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 02:55 PM

Default Turn Play

I wasn't multitabling for once, so I somewhat had a read. MP2 was a strange player that had already limped twice preflop with AA. This was the first time I'd seen him raise postflop. Still, 3-betting the turn is standard yes?

Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (14 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB
Old 08-09-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Turn Play

[ QUOTE ]
MP2 was a strange player that had already limped twice preflop with AA. This was the first time I'd seen him raise postflop. Still, 3-betting the turn is standard yes?

[/ QUOTE ]
3-betting heads-up with an overpair when an apparently very passive player raised you would not be correct. Your play is fine.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:15 PM

It is kind of strange since he previously limped PF with AA but 3-bet in this hand, it's hard to put him on a hand. Even though he hasn't raised postflop before, he did 3-bet preflop which kind of changes my interpretation of his actions.

I would probably 3-bet here.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:29 PM

Just to show what this guy was like, he was the SB this time:

Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>,

Flop: (5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

Results in white below:
SB shows Ad Ac (two pair, aces and kings).
Hero shows Td Ts (full house, tens full of kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 7.50 BB.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:51 PM

Yeah, he's obviously plays weird. Just calling down is probably the safer route to go.

I'm still not sure of his hand since he 3-bet PF. The 2nd 6 didn't help him. I think he has JJ or QQ and is raising now because he isn't scared of any overcards. He might have TT also. I think you're ahead.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:53 PM

I find it is not unusual for a player who will limp with AA to later raise with something like QQ,AK whatever after a raise from an earlier position preflop. This may be one of those players who gets really excited about big pots, they three bet when they get the chance but otherwise figure they get more money in by waiting for the turn. Limping with AA does not a passive player make, I've seen many LAGs do it religously.

Just looked back at the AA hand you posted from him, thats not wierd at all. He was waiting for the turn to pop it but got scared of the second K. I think he plays this hand this was with 1010-AA, I'd 3 bet that turn
Old 08-09-2004, 04:06 PM

You are giving him too much credit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I don't have this hand history, but basically, I saw him limp preflop with 99, hit a 9 on the flop, and proceed to call all the way down to the river to win with a set of nines. He was merely calling a single bet the entire way.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:13 PM

If thats your read absolutely go with it, I was just responding that I wasnt convinced from the info you gave that he would only raise with very strong hands/the nuts. If your are convinced based on previous reads that hes only playing this way with a monster, sure, easy call down.

Just thought I'd get the old gears rolling about other possibilities.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:14 PM

I appreciate it. If I was sure of my read and my play, I wouldn't of posted the hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I agree that 3 betting the turn is probably the correct play; this player just had me boggled.