Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-29-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Uber aggressive player/ what to do?

I play in a home poker tourney, about 10-20 ppl. I do pretty good in this tourney, but sometimes I get this over aggressive player at my table and he is in almost every pot. He's good at sensing weakness and a lot of the times he picks up pots from ppl looking to see a flop cheaply. The little pots add up and then he has a huge stack to throw around. I find myself most of the times getting pushed off my big hands starting hand (except aces and kings) because he uses to words all the time ! ALL IN !. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips or stategies for playing against very aggressive players.

Thanks everyone for thier help.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Uber aggressive player/ what to do?

Well, you certainly should be calling his all-ins with better than aces or kings, because he's plainly not waiting for jacks or better to push. From the description, it sounds like he has a pushing range at least down to about maybe 55 or A8. You don't want to widen your calling that range so much -- you definitely want to have a better hand, on average, than he figures to have. So maybe call his pushes with 99, AJ, or better. (WARNING: That's his pushes. In general AJ and 99 are awful hands against a big raise in NLHE.)

In general you want to trap him into playing over-aggressively when you have a big hand. Small pairs are good for this when they flop sets.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:15 AM

If you get them HU and hold a decent PP make them pay for the (TWO words) priviledge! Otherwise I generally will not be sucked into their loose agressive play.

What table position does this player assume? What do you know about this player from the past? What are his winnings / loses during the game? What has he shown down during prior hands? Will others in the ring take the action to showdown? What position are you in? All are things to consider prior to making a move unless of course you do in fact think you have the high PP and all of this is occuring pre-flop.

Against a loose agressive (notice i did not assume Uber) I know they, may have something, have at least a drawing hand of some sort (duh), and know they can knock out many tights, but not allways all, trying to get HU.

It can be a crap shot but you'll get a better crap if you hold the nuts.

So how do you win against these guys if you don't hold the nuts? Simple... Muck it and wait till u do. If they are that agressive and can stay in the game you will certainly get your blinds back. If they bust out and leave then keep playing poker and sooner or later you will get a shot at another one or two.

Monty
Old 12-29-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you're waiting for the nuts then this particular type of player will make a fortune against you all the times you don't have the nuts. You want to loosen up a bit, but not so much that you're losing more paying him off when he has a real hand. (Even compulsive bluffers are allowed to pick up real hands, believe it or not.)
Old 12-29-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you're waiting for the nuts then this particular type of player will make a fortune against you all the times you don't have the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets think this through, I am in a 9 person ring. I and everyone else pays the blind 2 times out of nine. This player is all in pre-flop. I lose 1 1/2 BB a round as do the others at the table. The lose player is going all in pre-flop several times in a few rounds. My loss is minimal.

When I am ready to goto showdown my gain is maximal and far exceeds my loss. My reasoning is this player will likely get knocked out before I get to showdown with him which is fine. If I use the correct reasoning and my opportunity comes then I will move, even if there are one or two others left in the action, with the right holding.

Playing this any other way IMO is submitting to his lose agressive style and joining him.

Monty
Old 12-29-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In general you want to trap him into playing over-aggressively when you have a big hand. Small pairs are good for this when they flop sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with most of what U said.

I am confused on how you trap an All-In player?

I took drek's post to say he went all in pre-flop there fore there is no trap to be made.

Now I know you are talking about situations where your acting first but if I read drek's post correctly (or maybe assumed, if so I apologize) this LAP dancer went all in first before the action came to derk.

Sorry if it looked like im playing TAG 101 but seeing (assuming) what i did then I am.

Monty
Old 12-29-2005, 03:00 AM

Well, perhaps I'm being unfair and you're using "the nuts" in the rhetorical way people do when they talk about "grinding the nuts". Preflop, the literal nut hand is two aces. If you're paying blinds waiting on aces (because you're just going to fold kings or Big Slick, right?), then you're paying 22 rounds of blinds for each time you get to trap him. Then you'd better hope you're sitting to his left (which is probably a good idea anyway), because if he has a lick of sense he's going to notice that you haven't been limping in with crap so he's not going to push if you've already limped.

We're really arguing about degree of tightness. Yes, you should be tight and agressive. But if you know he's pushing pocket deuces or better with the same frequency he pushes aces, and you're folding nines or tens, you're just tossing away money in the long run.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:28 AM

Yes I am talking THE NUTS.

Yes I would not stay long on his right he would run me over great point should have said it myself. Thank you. :-)

Yes it is the degree of tightness and if I know he is pushing PP deuces then I better have the NUTS. Certainly an AK suited or not is not that pre-flop even tho it has tremendous draw potential. PP 9's, J's, Q's, K's will still lose to his PP A's or even his AK making A on the board unless we get very lucky and pull the set or better out. Would I gamble holding a very high pair pre-flop certainly. Would I gamble holding AK against a huge pre-flop raise I doubt it.

Now im starting to want to get in a game with you and I mean that in a nice and respectable way. I'll sit on your right and we can have some fun. No scarcasim intended. :-)

Monty
Old 12-29-2005, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am confused on how you trap an All-In player?

I took drek's post to say he went all in pre-flop there fore there is no trap to be made.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point -- I was inferring that this guy, who likes to be the table bully, occasionally does his all-in routine on the flop. If he's only just pushing preflop, then it's all about starting hand selection.

I still don't see how you can say to wait for the absolute nuts, though. But then your post goes on to say that you would gamble with a big pair, but not with AK. If the bully is the type to push AT or so, you certainly want to be in there with AK -- you may have him totally dominated, and you're no worse than 45% unless he has AA or KK (each half as likely as any other single pair).
Old 12-29-2005, 05:07 AM

Certainly true but I was reflecting on your assertion he plays his pocket pairs all in pre-flop and plays them the same deuces to PP A. In the case of a low pocket pair HU I would be infact a slight underdog playing AK.

Do I sometime get the gut feeling to gamble? Sure but usually not unless that gut says it's the thing to do, I've seen the guy showdown random junk (AT EV 0.08 would be slight junk to AK EV 0.51), and my bank can withstand a direct hit if it comes. So even then I suppose it is in many ways a reasoned play.

It really depends on the situation.

Hey this entire discussion has been fun and I get the feeling pickin on each other has been equally satisfying as well.

Now go find out about that Party vs Empire thing. Also feel free to weigh in on the software forum topic im in about PO vs PT. :-) I respect your advice.

Monty