Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-14-2005, 11:37 PM

Default KK - In Search of a Less Sucky Line

This hand sucks. T

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) converter

MP2 ($10.95)
MP3 ($6.05)
CO ($10)
Button ($4.50)
SB ($2.80)
BB ($5.65)
UTG ($11.60)
Hero ($9.85)
MP1 ($6.35)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.3</font>, MP1 calls $0.30, MP2 calls $0.30, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($1.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: ($1.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.6</font>, MP1 calls $0.60, MP2 calls $0.60, BB folds.

River: ($3.05) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: $3.05
Old 12-14-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: KK - In Search of a Less Sucky Line

Are people folding $0.50 raises in this game? I would bet $1 on the flop.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:07 AM

See, I didn't want to bet $1 on the flop, cause I was sure I was behind.

When no one bet the flop, I bet the turn. But I didn't want to bet, cause I was still pretty sure I was behind. So I made a stupid bit of like 0 cents, cause I'm a moron. Then it got called. So I checked the river. But no one bet.

WTF
Old 12-15-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
See, I didn't want to bet $1 on the flop, cause I was sure I was behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

feh, stab the pot. I take these down a good bit. Even if they have an ace, they might fold A-small. If you get raised, it's an easy fold. If you get called, you'll have a harder decision on the turn -- but I try to push myself into uncomfortable situations so that I can get better at them.

Note there's a difference between uncomfortable and -EV tho. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2005, 01:30 AM

10c game: 3x-4x preflop isn't enough, as you can see. You want 2 callers max. I'd raise to .50 off the get-go.

As played pre-flop: Even at .10BB, Q2 isn't going to call a .30 raise, you have 2 K's, so K2 is pretty unlikely (K2s is a very possible call in $10NL). You should only worry about the A.

I say fire out a pot-sized bet. Since there's no draws, you'll either win right then and there, or get called, and know right away that you're behind, and can resume checking.

The way to make $ in poker is to know what's in your hand, and figure out what's in your opponent's, and bet accordingly. A pot-sized flop bet will get you the info you seek. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

How you played post-flop isn't bad (minimizing your risk), just so long as you're clear in your head that you should fold to anyone who so much as min-raises you.

Did you win the hand, btw? Or was someone check/calling an A3-A6?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The way to make $ in poker is to know what's in your hand, and figure out what's in your opponent's, and bet accordingly. A pot-sized flop bet will get you the info you seek.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

that's the key here: what's the best way to get the info you need?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:45 AM

I find a lot of the time by taking a stab at this flop people assume you're holding AJ - AK. In that situation you can get get A2 - A10s to fold. As smaller stakes people stay in longer. If it were higher you'd get AJ to fold too.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:14 AM

Grunch:

Raise more PF around 0.40 - 0.50, and pot the flop. If you get reraised on the flop, fold. Otherwise lead the turn. If you still have callers come the river, use your reads to figure out what's the best move. Without reads, I would lean towards checking and calling up to a half sized pot bet.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find a lot of the time by taking a stab at this flop people assume you're holding AJ - AK. In that situation you can get get A2 - A10s to fold. As smaller stakes people stay in longer. If it were higher you'd get AJ to fold too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't comment above 50NL, but at the stakes I play, respectable pf raises get called by weak aces, and no ace is folding that flop, because donks at SSNL love catching bluffers.

OP: Raise PF = C-bet flop, 90% of times. Bet 70-100% of pot on the flop. Check/fold if that doesn't take it down, as there is almost certainly an ace out there.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

OP: Raise PF = C-bet flop, 90% of times. Bet 70-100% of pot on the flop. Check/fold if that doesn't take it down, as there is almost certainly an ace out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT