Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: I c/c c/c donk my flush draw HU

I don't like it.

The move is pretty transparent IMO, if I were the TAG, I'd be willing to call your river bet with any hand that I had bet on both the flop and turn.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:17 PM

id rather donk the turn. way too easy for him to see showdown with A high when you donk the river. also donking the turn will very much disguise your hand, and its a line i would fairly often take with a jack.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:13 AM

Alobar,

Couple more comments. I think you need to play a flush draw heads up against a single opponent with more of a holistic perspective. The way you played this hand sucks. You didn't take advantage of a draw that provides you with enough backup so that a semi-bluff becomes a profitable move. It looks like you just played this hand in complete isolation and then decided to try something on the river. Trying something on the river I think is okay. It'll probably work sometimes. But playing a flush draw heads up against a steal raiser like this all the time I think is a bad use of a good draw.

What do you do if you hit your flush on the river? How much are you going to make on it? Think about how much you win and lose overall with your plan.

I think you can make more by giving your opponent a chance to fold the best hand by semi-bluffing/playing the hand fast.

If you are going to semi-bluff, I like to choose the turn because that's how most people anticipate a J being played. Quite a few TAGs will give up right there with a lot of holdings. I think a flop check raise with a paired board and a flush draw is an autocalldown with K high(it is for me). I think you can actually get some aces to fold, especially if you fire the 3rd barrel even if you miss.

Krishan
Old 12-10-2005, 05:32 AM

I think this is an easy checkraise on the flop. If he's holding unpaired overcards to your 87s, then you have 15 outs twice, making your checkraise for value. Add in the fold equity that you get from this play and I think it's easily the best line. Sometimes he will call your checkraise and raise your turn bet. However, you are only spending 1 more BB on the turn because you would have called 1BB anyway, and the extra BB isn't costing you full price because you still have decent equity and will make up some bets on the river if you hit your flush. Also, I don't think this villian is raising the turn without a Jack, so most of the time you will know that an 8 or 7 on the river is a value bet.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:49 AM

i play this hand weird. against an opponent taking almost all K and A highs to showdown here, I c/r flop. call a 3 bet and c/r turn, or if just called, I c/r turn again. its probably the hand wiht the strangest way of playing i know of. If it gets checked thru, I bet / 3bet river (barring a big river card). It feels like my line gets me plenty of fold equity vs A highs and such and when i jam the flop without much FE, I actually have PE of over 50%.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:08 AM

Krishan,

I completely agree. Especially here.

[ QUOTE ]
I like to choose the turn because that's how most people anticipate a J being played.

[/ QUOTE ]