Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Should I tell my buddy??
no 39 32.50%
yes 81 67.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Best Video Game 1988-1994 Round 2

[ QUOTE ]
Star Control 2, the greatest game of all time, bar none, going out 0-2 is a travesty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more... i literally spent MONTHS playing this game for 4-5 hours daily for singleplayer. And I could play multiplayer for just as long...

I picked it up again recently for the windows port.

Freakin
Old 12-08-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Star Control 2, the greatest game of all time, bar none, going out 0-2 is a travesty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more... i literally spent MONTHS playing this game for 4-5 hours daily for singleplayer. And I could play multiplayer for just as long...

I picked it up again recently for the windows port.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it just wasn't all that widely played. Maybe people played Star Control 3 and had bad memories and thus voted against it.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Just to see X-Com losing to Sim City 2000 makes this a crime against humanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. X-Com is such a great game.

[/ QUOTE ]

And SimCity 2000 sucked. So boring. I always put it in the MYST category of games old people bought just to feel like they were using their $2000 computers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great description. I played Sim City 2000. I thought it was fairly fun, but, yeah, it's in the "Myst" genre. It's one of the least deserving titles to be involved in this poll, perhaps along with Super Mario RPG and Sonic 3. To see it taking down the best game on this list is pretty disgusting. No one has chimed in to extol the virtues of SC2k. I think people are just voting for it because they have never heard of XCom.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:16 PM

I think that many of the matchups that are causing gripes are actually very close (Doom vs. Mario Kart, Monkey Island vs. TIE Fighter) but XCOM losing to SC2000 leaves me speechless. I'd be very interested in hearing from someone who has played both defend a vote for SC2000, because I believe it is quite frankly impossible.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:22 PM

Just about everyone in this forum would LOVE Monkey Island (esp. the original) if they played it. Very dissapointed with this decision, as well as the aforementioned Star Control 2 situation.

Tecmo Super Bowl is probably my favorite game on the list, but at least it's losing to worthy competition.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that many of the matchups that are causing gripes are actually very close (Doom vs. Mario Kart, Monkey Island vs. TIE Fighter) but XCOM losing to SC2000 leaves me speechless. I'd be very interested in hearing from someone who has played both defend a vote for SC2000, because I believe it is quite frankly impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played both and X-Com is hands down the better game.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:25 PM

Bo Jackson, that mf'er.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bo Jackson, that mf'er.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:52 PM

Tecmo Bowl
Old 12-08-2005, 03:03 PM

OK, my thoughts.

Tecmo Super Bowl vs Contra

Agreeing with others, this is a finals match...final 4 at worst. Contra was great, but I don't think you will ever find a game that so many people have "perfected" as Tecmo. I spent consequential amounts of time in close to a dozen dorms in my college career (either living in or visiting), and I think Tecmo was played in each one, and each dorm had its Tecmo champ, and the spectacle of two masters of the game getting together, setting their playbooks, and pitting it out against one another was a (sober) video game spectacle yet to be matched in my eyes...Mario Kart + alcohol will give sober Tecmo a run for it's money though.

SC2K vs XCOM

People who can't figure this one out are a little dense. Everyone and their mom played SC2K. XCOM was not widely circulated. I only played SC2K. Sorry XCOM fans....I'm sure XCOM is great, but SC2k is just good enough to beat out a random game I never played....and I am certain I match the sentiments of other SC2K voters.

Tetris vs Mortal Kombat

This is a simple experiment in OOT demographics. Tetris touters don't seem to realize that Mortal Kombat was the GTA series of the 90s. Take a trip down memory lane with me, boys. Remember Sunday night when Mom turned on 60 Minutes? Remember when Ed Bradley came on to condemn Mortal Combat? Remember all the bad press Mortal Kombat got? If you were 12-15 at the time MK came out, there was nothing cooler than sneaking over to your friend's place to play MK because his parents were the only ones cool enough to buy their kid that game. The blood? The violence? The fatalities? If this means less to you than trying to piece together a bunch of stupid shapes that won't bleed no matter how hard you smash them into the ground, then I am guessing you weren't born into MK's wheelhouse. You're either too old to appreciate the cheap thrill of blood or you're too young and you find MK tame compared to later games.