Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Interesting .05/.10 NL hand- discuss?

On a whim, i played some micro NL today to kill some time between games. this was actually the first hand i played at this table; I think it's intresting the way it played out- i made some questionable plays; All of my post-flop decisions are debatable... but i think all but one was correct, more or less. i'll post my reasoning behind them if people want to discuss some NL concepts.

here:
Paradise poker 5-max NL, $.10 BB

In the big blind i get dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]... everyone limps, i check.

pot is $.50, flop comes 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

...and I have two overcards, a gutshot straight draw, and a backdoor flush draw. checks to MP, who bets $.60, Button calls, SB folds I call, UTG folds. three go to the turn.

the pot is about $2.30, turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and i now have a one card top end straight with a flush draw.

I check, MP checks, Button bets $1.50, i call, MP calls

pot is now $6.75 river is T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

final board: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check again, MP checks, button bets $1.50, i raise to $5...

so? discussion?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Interesting .05/.10 NL hand- discuss?

The following is just my "off the cuff" impressions; I make no promises about being correct. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

pot is $.50, flop comes 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

...and I have two overcards, a gutshot straight draw, and a backdoor flush draw. checks to MP, who bets $.60, Button calls, SB folds I call,

[/ QUOTE ]

$0.60 to stay in a pot with $1.70 -> 2:1. Not justified by expressed odds, so it mostly hinges on the gutshot and if you think your opponents are bad enough to pay off thus giving you implied odds. Stack sizes in the HH would be nice -- without them, it's impossible to evaluate implied odds.

Turning top pair would be tricky -- you couldn't be too confident unless you know that the flop bettor would overbet the pot with top pair on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]

the pot is about $2.30, turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and i now have a one card top end straight with a flush draw.

I check, MP checks, Button bets $1.50, i call, MP calls

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling is OK; my first thought was to raise for value here. But since you have a good draw, a free card isn't costly. Is button bad enough to call a raise with four to a straight on board and less than a straight? If not, you certainly played it right.

[ QUOTE ]

pot is now $6.75 river is T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

final board: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check again, MP checks, button bets $1.50, i raise to $5...

[/ QUOTE ]

See turn comments; I suppose smooth calling the turn increases the chance that hands like 44 or JT will call your raise on the river. But the ten is a scare card to top pair of sevens, hence costing you money if that's what the turn bettor had.

I'm eager to hear other's comments.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:56 PM

I think this hand was played terribly. On the flop I would fold since your gutshot is pretty obvious when it hits (because the board will be a 4 straight killing your implied odds) and how happy are you to really hit a king or an 8? I might call this in limit, but no limit where I am often going to fold if I hit my pair I don't like it.

On the turn I am going to try to get all the money in because any 8 will call or raise me and I can free roll them. I would bet / raise the pot at any opportunity.

The river is played fine.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn I am going to try to get all the money in because any 8 will call or raise me and I can free roll them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

As for the implied odds to call on the flop -- I think I agree, you need BAAAAAD opponents to make it worthwhile. The secondary draws add a bit of equity; is it enough to call getting 2:1? Probably not.