Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: best player type to be
loose agressive 5 13.51%
tight agressive 25 67.57%
loose passive 3 8.11%
tight passive 0 0%
other 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: blatant disregard (disrespect?) for money

[ QUOTE ]
I can't say I like where I'm headed psychologically with regards to this

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a birthday card from my grandma the other day. My reaction: sweet, half a bb!

That made me feel like a terrible person
Old 10-19-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Like: "Cingular is screwing me over and is going to charge me a $150 cancellation fee. I've already been down there 3 times and called them 3 times...so really if I spend over 2 hours on this (which I already have), it's a waste of my time. (so I'm letting it go)".

But then again, if I had those 3 hours back, would I have used them to play poker? Or was that coming out of regular work time ($20 an hour?).

The old me would be enraged about the $150. Now....meh.

I can't say I like where I'm headed psychologically with regards to this...what happens if in a few years I'm making $200 an hour? (and there are lots of you out there who could answer this). What IS worth your time anymore? If it takes you 30 minutes extra to find the cheapest flight, you better have saved over $100 from what you orignally found.

(Thankfully I've made peace with the conflict of "spending time with others" versus "I could have made $200 playing poker instead of watching that shitty movie". I'm always taking the social route when available. However, when I have to entertain myself, poker wins out over just about everything else...)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't spend time on things that save me money but I hate doing and the money saved is significantly less than my winrate. Now, when it comes to something like buying a laptop, I don't mind spending a few hours doing some research to find a deal that saves me $100. This is because I'm semi-interested in computing and the info I learn can be useful later on.

Now, calling AOL and cancelling that [censored] $30/month plan I haven't used in over a year is something I have avoided for a long time. The last time I called they kept me on the phone for half an hour and it took me a few hours to calm down about the money grubbing bastards. I keep trying to convince myself I might need it if I ever enter a big tournament and my DSL goes down. I think I'm in denial.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I got a birthday card from my grandma the other day. My reaction: sweet, half a bb!

That made me feel like a terrible person

[/ QUOTE ]

lol!

Also, since I'm the oldest of my generation, I keep getting birthday cards with checks in them from my extended family.

Here's to hoping that everyone sends me a $27 check for my 27th birthday! I'll toss it to the center of the table as my next flop continuation bet.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:58 PM

I didn't vote because I think it is POSSIBLE -

unfortunately I cannot do it.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can't say I like where I'm headed psychologically with regards to this...what happens if in a few years I'm making $200 an hour? (and there are lots of you out there who could answer this). What IS worth your time anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]

You soon realize that nothing is worth your time. Over night shipping? Sure, why not. $5-$25 parking ticket for expired meter? Who gives a [censored]. Top shelf alcohol vs rail? Without question. All these things you would never splurge on before all of sudden become "normal". You start eating out a lot and not even blinking at a $10 burger. Anytime your friends want to do something "expensive" you are always game, but feel bad that not everyone can always go out and spend without thinking about it. You also start to buy ridiculous toys that are way excessive, they are fun for a few weeks, then they grow old while you buy something new. Currently, I'm in the stage of "Hmm, should I go out wtih you, dinner, drinks, whatever else, what is that five hours? Nah, not really worthy my time, I'd rather make a thousand. " That's where it gets really gross. You have to realize that everything in moderation. SOmetimes, you DO have to go out with people even if you won't enjoy that time as much as 5 tabling, just to get out and breath. The list goes on and on, but these are some of the things I think about on a daily basis.

In relation to poker, so this thread kinda stays on track, I found out that I played much better/trickier/unpredictable/dangerous when I was overrolled for the limits. There were times when I used to play 5/10 on a $8 - 10k roll, all of your decisions are very tight and obvious. You get out of line never. Now that I'm overolled for 5/10, I can experiment more, do crazier things, launch ridiculous bluffs, etc... in short your game grows and you learn what does/doesn't work, otherways to manipulate opponents, get them to fold the best hand, and even more important, extract razor thin value bets (more important than bluffing imo) etc... The downside of being overolled, is that if you aren't careful (speaking from personal experience), you can develop a mindset of, "it doesn't matter if you have x and I have y, you aren't going to pay $1000 to see the next card". This can get very ugly, very fast.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:46 PM

I know see some people real cheap that play high stakes poker.

It doesn't feel like real money.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can't say I like where I'm headed psychologically with regards to this...what happens if in a few years I'm making $200 an hour? (and there are lots of you out there who could answer this). What IS worth your time anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]

You soon realize that nothing is worth your time. Over night shipping? Sure, why not. $5-$25 parking ticket for expired meter? Who gives a [censored]. Top shelf alcohol vs rail? Without question. All these things you would never splurge on before all of sudden become "normal". You start eating out a lot and not even blinking at a $10 burger. Anytime your friends want to do something "expensive" you are always game, but feel bad that not everyone can always go out and spend without thinking about it. You also start to buy ridiculous toys that are way excessive, they are fun for a few weeks, then they grow old while you buy something new. Currently, I'm in the stage of "Hmm, should I go out wtih you, dinner, drinks, whatever else, what is that five hours? Nah, not really worthy my time, I'd rather make a thousand. " That's where it gets really gross. You have to realize that everything in moderation. SOmetimes, you DO have to go out with people even if you won't enjoy that time as much as 5 tabling, just to get out and breath. The list goes on and on, but these are some of the things I think about on a daily basis.

In relation to poker, so this thread kinda stays on track, I found out that I played much better/trickier/unpredictable/dangerous when I was overrolled for the limits. There were times when I used to play 5/10 on a $8 - 10k roll, all of your decisions are very tight and obvious. You get out of line never. Now that I'm overolled for 5/10, I can experiment more, do crazier things, launch ridiculous bluffs, etc... in short your game grows and you learn what does/doesn't work, otherways to manipulate opponents, get them to fold the best hand, and even more important, extract razor thin value bets (more important than bluffing imo) etc... The downside of being overolled, is that if you aren't careful (speaking from personal experience), you can develop a mindset of, "it doesn't matter if you have x and I have y, you aren't going to pay $1000 to see the next card". This can get very ugly, very fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice post...
Old 10-19-2005, 09:40 PM

im not going to waste time to make/save money when i can make 10X as much just playing poker.

but with something like a plane ride, ill still fly coach just because i dont think its that big a deal.

i dont spend too much money, but i eat out probably 20 times/month minimum. its cheap here, though.

i think there is a difference between spending alot of money and having a good time, and wasting money like a donkey.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i eat out probably 20 times/month minimum

[/ QUOTE ]

pffft, cheap ass.

Signed,
Broke Ass Sponger
Old 10-19-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i dont spend too much money, but i eat out probably 20 times/month minimum. its cheap here, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're in Thailand right? I'm not sure you CAN spend the kind of money you're making.

Unless, you bought an island and flew us all down there and formed an online poker clique/cult.