Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Why did I play this bad hand?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's justified in that I knew costs me $90 to see a turn, and if I hit I get about $1850 from him... about 80% sure of that, I'd say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reasoning is atrocious. You assume you get $1850 from him when you hit, but villain is a maniac capable of having any 2 cards. So what makes you think he'll have such a strong hand that he'll get all of his chips in? Was he going all in every single hand? I find this hard to believe.

Generally, calling with junk is better against tight players who have trouble making tough laydowns, because the fact that they're in the hand indicates that they have a strong hand. A large percentage of the time that you play 24o against this villain you're going to fold post-flop. And a large percentage of the time you hit your miracle straight or trips and try extracting chips he'll fold his junk Q9o on a 244 board or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post hits it right on the head.

All of the planets have to be aligned for this to work.

By your reasoning you are arguing that about 1 in 20 times you will flop or turn the nuts AND your opponent will have a huge hand AND he will be willing to play for his stack with that hand AND you won't get re-drawn out against.

Play that crap OOP against a loosie another 20 - 30 times and let me know how it turns out.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's justified in that I knew costs me $90 to see a turn, and if I hit I get about $1850 from him... about 80% sure of that, I'd say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reasoning is atrocious. You assume you get $1850 from him when you hit, but villain is a maniac capable of having any 2 cards. So what makes you think he'll have such a strong hand that he'll get all of his chips in? Was he going all in every single hand? I find this hard to believe.

Generally, calling with junk is better against tight players who have trouble making tough laydowns, because the fact that they're in the hand indicates that they have a strong hand. A large percentage of the time that you play 24o against this villain you're going to fold post-flop. And a large percentage of the time you hit your miracle straight or trips and try extracting chips he'll fold his junk Q9o on a 244 board or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the reply, this is the kind of post I was looking for. For some reason it didn't enter my mind that me hitting the hand isn't the only requirement, but that he has to have a monster hand. He would play with me for a bit of money with any two cards, but not always all-in. Mainly because I have a weak-tight reputation at the particular table with those players, because I'm more willing to fold my hand than about any other player at the table, but of course that doesn't mean I'll get him all in. Thanks for the input.

But don't be too surprised about the player... he does go all in quite a bit, it seems that money is no object to him.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two Words: Implied Odds. Nice Hand, Sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was thinking at the time, but FoxwoodsFiend and LuvDemNuts makes the point that he also must have a monster, and that's the part I failed to realize. I do have good implied odds from him, but thinking that "all in" were the implied odds was incorrect.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:31 AM

Why did you buy into a $5/$10 game with $200?

Why 24o? waiting for and playing a hand like 22-99 for set value against a guy like this makes a lot more sense to me.