Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Did Johnny Chan 4-bet and fold to a 5-bet?

[ QUOTE ]
You got the story right. 300/600 at the Taj. JC raises, Matt Damon reraises, JC 3-bets and Matt "hesitates for about 2 seconds" and 4-bets. Chan folds.

Interestingly enough Matt sat down at the table with 6k and managed to last an hour by mostly folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was $300/600 stud with a $1 ante and $50 bring in. Really weird structure.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:27 PM

All poker scenes from movies are simply ridiculous. Makes for good drama, but silly poker.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:34 PM

yes, the fold is after the flop. I remember seeing the flop on the table but don't recall what the cards were.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:34 PM

This reminds me of a hand I played vs. GoT once. Why was I playing GoT? I dunno, it was just something I had to do for myself. I needed to know that I could sit down across from the best in the world and hold my own. Anyway, I had 7-high, no draw. Complete rags. I bet as a bluff, he raised. I could see it in his eyes, he didn't have it. I 3-bet. He just calmly 4-bet. Right at that moment, I knew he was trying to bully me. And I also knew that it didn't matter what my cards were, I was just playing the man. So I did it. 5-bet him with complete rags. He took his time, played with his chips, then folded. He looked like he was about to ask me something, but he had had a few drinks and started puking on the table.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of a hand I played vs. GoT once. Why was I playing GoT? I dunno, it was just something I had to do for myself. I needed to know that I could sit down across from the best in the world and hold my own. Anyway, I had 7-high, no draw. Complete rags. I bet as a bluff, he raised. I could see it in his eyes, he didn't have it. I 3-bet. He just calmly 4-bet. Right at that moment, I knew he was trying to bully me. And I also knew that it didn't matter what my cards were, I was just playing the man. So I did it. 5-bet him with complete rags. He took his time, played with his chips, then folded. He looked like he was about to ask me something, but he had had a few drinks and started puking on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
El oh el. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's mostly confusing to me is did that action take place preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this is my question and why I'm confused. On, say, the river, I might understand but preflop it just seems retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will help you enjoy movies a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]
Johnny Chan actually 'acted' in the scene and was an advisor on the show. Why the [censored] would he make a ridiculous scene?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:50 PM

POTD, el D.

What really gets to me about this scene more than Chan's fold is how Knish says to Mike: (paraphrasing) "But you need fifty or sixty grand to sit down in that game". Why would Knish say he would need 100 BB to sit in a 300/600 game? Hollywood. Harumph.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. You still can't borrow 15 large from me.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
POTD, el D.

What really gets to me about this scene more than Chan's fold is how Knish says to Mike: (paraphrasing) "But you need fifty or sixty grand to sit down in that game". Why would Knish say he would need 100 BB to sit in a 300/600 game? Hollywood. Harumph.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe he meant bankroll.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
POTD, el D.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe he meant bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or more likely it was just the first big number the writers thought up.