Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 04:12 PM

Default KQ UTG

Table is a pretty good one for the Party 15. Many very tight hands (blinds only or a single raiser with one or both of blinds calling), and a few multiway raised pots (enough cold-calling to make the game 'good').

Post-flop play has been fairly passive, with enough aggression that some (I'll guess 1/3) hands are not seeing showdown.

SB is super-TAG, BB is moderate LAG (37/14 and smart but not a bully post-flop).

I'm a 21/9/2 who has been at the table for about 20 hands. I guess my table image is TAG since I played my first hand (posted from CO, lost with TP at showdown) but have folded all others until the previous hand where I open-raised AK from UTG+1, bet flop and turn heads-up vs TAG Blind who c/c c/f and I won without showdown.

UTG+1 is a totally limp fish (67/0, limps KK and AK, check-calls TP on flop)who will call down most anything heads-up if he has the slightest piece, but can find a fold to a raise on a later street.

CO is TAG, others are varying degrees of moderate LP.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (10.66 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button folds, BB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.83 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...
Old 08-23-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: KQ UTG

I bet this flop even into a crowd.

As it played, I don't like the turn CR. If you want to CR, the flop is the best spot to do it. I think most of the time, you are spewing here and have few outs to bail you out.

- Jim
Old 08-23-2005, 04:25 PM

My usual line here is c/c the flop and c/f the turn UI. If you want to get fancy, I would pick a spot where I have a few more clean outs and fewer opponents. I think that you are reverse dominated here by KJs or QJs here a lot.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:32 PM

I don't follow your play at all.

I would have bet the flop, it's quite ragged. I put the CO on a mid PP or maybe something like AJs. Betting might buy you outs.

Why are you raising the turn exactly? You're barely getting enough odds to call even 1 bet if your overcards are perfectly clean for 6 outs. If I was the cutoff with a PP or AJ I'd think you're full of it and I might even 3-bet you because your play makes no sense.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:37 PM

C/C flop is OK with me.

The only thing you can representing on the turn is JJ and I'm not buying it with either AJ or a pocket pair. I'm at least calling and maybe 3-betting.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:00 PM

Just bet the flop. You will pick up this pot uncontested more often than you realize by simply firing 2 barrels. The way you played it represents exactly A-high, which you don't even have. You'll be called down by any pair and pick up the pot from pure bluffs which may or may not hold the best hand. I don't like it.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

CO is TAG, others are varying degrees of moderate LP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have given more detail on my player-specific read. CO after ~100 hands has a PFAgg well above 4 with Flop aggression over 10 and turn agression over 5. He is also not too tight preflop (about 21).
Old 08-23-2005, 05:46 PM

I would bet flop because it can buy some outs and then check/fold turn UI. Why do you c/r turn? What is your idea?
Old 08-23-2005, 06:35 PM

Maybe I was spewing, but my thoughts with this lineup were:

If I bet out (and keep firing), I have a fish who just might call me down the whole way with A-high. I also have 2 TAG's who just might bluff-raise me (It is a big pot, and CO has position on me), or let me bet their hand for them and pop me at the end.

So I check the flop, pretty sure that Fish will check and CO will bet, and that will let me see how button and blind react.

So far it goes as predicted, button and blind folds so I can check-raise and try to pick it up here, but it is a big pot so I doubt CO is going to give up, and the extra SB may or may not make a difference to Fish.

Turn was a blank, so nothing changes except bets are bigger. Betting out seems kind of suspicious since I check-called the flop after preflop-raising. I hate check-calling and can't bear the thought of check-folding to a TAG who will be betting any two cards here. Remember, CO cold-called in a spot where he should have been folding or 3-betting (in position, with just UTG raiser and Fish in the pot). His cold-call gave great odds to Button and BB so it screams Axs or weak suited broadway, or possibly KQ. Small PP is also possible but I'd expect him to want at least another caller in front for that.

I think I have a decent shot at pulling off a c/r bluff, representing AA, KK or JJ. I get 4:1 from the pot after TAG's certain bet, and the most it will cost me on the river is 1BB if I am called, catch a Q or K and still lose to a bigger 2-pair. If I am 3-bet on the turn I can fold with a clean conscience. I lose the chance to see the river.

My C/R will most likely fold out a weak pair or a suited ace (is JT ever folding here? maybe) or another KQ, so I win all those pots plus the pots I would lose to TAG's bluff bets. Maybe just donking the turn would accomplish the same thing at a cheaper price if it were H/U vs TAG, but Fish is more likely to call me down.

In retrospect I think I agree with the betting-out line. Not betting the flop could have been a mistake but at the time I felt like I'd been firing a lot of dry barrels on missed overcards so I hoped to get more information about where I stood by checking into this particular crowd.

Once it was a single bet back to me on the flop, and down to just Fish and TAG, I thought calling and the turn C/R bluff was the best option left given the player-specific reads, the board, and the great pot odds. It was mostly TAG's abnormally high PFAgg that inspired the bluff attempt.

Perhaps I'm just a moron, look for me soon at a table near you [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]