Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

View Poll Results: folded to you in the CO with KTo
call 0 0%
raise 93 95.88%
fold 4 4.12%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Should I go back to school?

Well, school here at the University of Oklahoma started back today, and I have still not decided whether or not I will attend classes this semester.

Here is some background info: I started college 4 years ago on full academic scholarship (plus living expenses/cash stipends) cause I took tests real well . I started out majoring in Physics and was a straight-A student for my first 3 semesters. I then realized that I didn't want to work in a lab the rest of my life and started exploring other majors (this was also about the time that I started playing a ton of poker). So I took 2 semesters of econ classes, then last semester, I started making a substantial income through poker. At this point, I stopped attending classes and basically flunked. I still recieve a full tuition waiver, and if I made up the 12 hours I lost I would recieve all the other scholarships back too (although, I am not worried at all about the money).

Also, I got married this summer, and my wife is a second year pharmacy student. Our plans all along have been to purchase a hometown pharmacy when she graduates and I run the business part while she does the pharmaceutical stuff. This, combined with the fact that I have made so much money from poker, leads me to lean towards not going to school for now. Also, I understand that poker may not be there for me in 5 years, BUT SCHOOL WILL. I am investing alot of my money right now, and would have no trouble footing the bill in a few years if I do try and go back. It just seems like an undergrad degree is so worthless these days, and I really can't think of a postgrad program I would be interested in.

Thoughts?
Old 08-22-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Should I go back to school?

If you pass on school now you are a huge favorite to blow it off forever.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:36 PM

You might get better responses if you tell people the stakes you're playing so they don't assume you're grinding $3-6 or something.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:37 PM

Nothing personal, but I don't know if I'd want you running my pharmacy.

Maybe you should get a business degree. If nothing else, it'll give you a baseline of knowledge about running a business.

Of course, you may have some business experience that I am unaware of. If so, fine. I'd still recommend that you go back to school and get a degree. ANY degree.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you pass on school now you are a huge favorite to blow it off forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're serious, this statement couldn't be more right.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:42 PM

I play 215 SNGs, and step 5s. I also play 109 and larger multis.

I have made a little over $200,000 this year.

I do have some business knowledge. My father owns his own businesses, and will be helping me run the pharmacy til I get everything under control. It's not that complicated to run the business side of it anyways.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:56 PM

Finish school now! You will have plenty of time to play poker and make $$$ over the next 50-60 years. Get your degree, this will give you something to fall back on if poker and/or the Rx thing don't pan out.

Do you really want to explain to a potential employer you took 6 years off from school to play poker and screw around (maybe not reality, but definitely perception), but now are ready to settle into a serious job?
Old 08-22-2005, 03:14 PM

Take 6-9 credits a semester until you finish your business degree. Play poker with the rest of your time which will be quite significant.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:22 PM

I really disagree with everyone who is saying go back to school. If you love poker and don't love school, and you are making plenty of money, I don't see any need to go back to school. I think way too many people go to college because they are supposed to, rather than because they want to.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:29 PM

Get an MBA.

MBA = $$$.