Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2003, 11:33 PM

Default (The obvious) Result...

The BB took the pot with Q6o.

I was wondering if anyone thought that raising on the flop might have been legitimate. I know I don't have the odds to do this if he has a queen. But with the chance he might give up on a queen with a poor kicker. Or if there is anything else he might have bet out on the flop with other than a pair higher than mine.

Anyway, at the time even I knew that calling the turn and the river was a huge mistake. But I've found that on-line it is very tempting to chase 2-outers. I don't have to see my stack go down. I guess it is a sign that i have a long ways to go...

Well, thanks for the replies. They were really helpful [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Morgan
Old 03-03-2003, 01:10 AM

Default Re: (The obvious) Result...

Most online players seem to be pretty pasive so if they bet out they most likely have at least top pair. Start trying to take note of the better or more tricky players and basically just assume everyone else is pretty passive and typical until further notice. Bluffs don't work nearly as often and you will called down with middle pair and top pair crap kicker all day, learn to play around that and you will have a much more profitable experience. (Now if only I could learn to listen to my own advice.)
Old 03-03-2003, 02:41 AM

Anybody that plays Q6o isn't worried about their kicker.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:49 AM

Default Re: A hand I need help with...

This is definitely one of the times you should believe that someone has a queen. The BB bet into a large field on a fairly raggedy flop. He most likely is not betting a draw (unless he has an open-ended straight draw). After someone calls, it is almost certain that one of them, if not both, has a queen. Maybe one is on a draw, but not both.

I know it is difficult to fold big pairs on the flop, but sometimes you have to grit your teeth and muck. Remember that bets saved are just as important as bets won.

-- Homer
Old 03-03-2003, 11:38 AM

Default Re: A hand I need help with...

My thinking with JJ or TT is that I’ll raise if I can limit the field to 3 players or fewer, or If I’m on the button and there are 5 or more. With a big field you almost certainly have to flop a set to win, so your worst scenario is a raised pot with 4 or 5 people in. You don’t quite have the right odds to flop your set, and you are unlikely to win unimproved. You’d rather play that hand for 1 bet.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:04 PM

There are very few low limit players that will laydown top pair no matter what their kicker. You won’t make money trying to push them off their hands, you will make lots of money when they call your overpair/better kicker hands down to the river. Wait for the right opportunity against these guys.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:59 PM

He was on the blind, but since it should have been layed down. Even if he was a "good" player who just has a thing for overdefending his blinds, I'm not sure he would lay it down to a raise with the backdoor straight possiblity as well, and after the turn he wasn't going anywhere.