Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2003, 05:28 AM

Default My first hold \'em hand post

This is my first post of a hold 'em hand ... be gentle [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I'm CO. CO+1 open limps. I call with 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] . Both blinds come along.

Flop: 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

Checked to me. I bet and everybody calls.

Turn: [ 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] ] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to me. I bet. Folded to CO1 who calls. All I know about him is that he is not a very good player.

River: [ 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] ] A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

CO1 bets and I call.

Comments on all streets welcome [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . The river is what I'm most interested in. Thanks,

Morgan
Old 02-23-2003, 06:36 AM

Default Re: My first hold \'em hand post

I would raise preflop. I have no respect at all for people who open limp in late position. You have too much of a hand to put up with that crap.

That said, raise the river. Your opponent has no reason to put you on a flush... and he hasn't done anything on a previous street to convince me that he has two pair or a set going into the river. If I have a big hand, I don't slow down until I've announced my hand with a raise on an expensive street and I get reraised or bet into when a scare card hits.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:09 AM

easy fold preflop [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2003, 12:35 PM

I would raise pre-flop as well, especially if this player has a history of limping a lot. Flop and river plays are good. I also say you should raise the river. Your opponent may think you have a jack. Nothing you have done has given away the fact you have a nice hand yet.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:11 PM

Hello,

I would never fold T9s in the CO after one limper and I would raise almost 100% of the time.

Raise the river.

Calvin
Old 02-23-2003, 02:11 PM

Default Results

Thanks for the replies. You've helped me confirm what I thought at the time, that I wimped out on the river.

CO1 turns over J [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] and I take the pot.

I don't know what he was thinking [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Morgan
Old 02-23-2003, 02:25 PM

You played it fine until the river, where you should raise. Remember all he has seen you do is bet when checked too. Your opponent has no reason to put you on anything as big as a flush. In fact, as his river bet and actual hand show, he thought he was allowing you to bluff the whole way and was worried you might check behind with a worse hand. Always remember what your actions look like to your opponents.

Preflop, your hand is good enough to play since you have the button, but unless the blinds and CO are ultra tight, you have no incentive to raise here. Calling is just fine.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:55 PM

It is difficult to take seriously an opponent who open limps from CO+1. If I think I can isolate, and if he is a folder, then I raise. However, I think most of these bad playing LP limpers are loose-passive rather than weak-tight. So I think calling is fine. Your hand plays better multi-way for a cheap entry fee. In fact, the only thing that makes your hand playable, its suited, probably is not much of an advantage heads-up here.

I would raise the river, unless you know this guy is so passive that he would never bet into a flush board without a full-house. He probably has a worse hand with which he will call, and not a full house. Bad players have a favorable crap-n-call vs monster ratio.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:30 PM

You played fine all the way through except for the river. Raise the river.

Side note: If you could get the remaining ppl behind you to fold then go for the raise pre-flop, but call here is just fine too.

Ed S.