Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 10:01 PM

Default I wish I could play handsome poker.

live 6/12, opponent is a young TAG, with the emphasis on tight. also appears to be tilting slightly due to repeated suckouts.

Folded to Hero in MP with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Hero Raises, folded to button who calls, SB folds, TAG in BB calls.

Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
TAG checks, Hero Bets, other guy folds, TAG raises, Hero 3bets, TAG 4bets, Hero folds.

UGLY.

I'll post my in-hand thoughts later, for now feel free to bash me.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:17 AM

Default Re: I wish I could play handsome poker.

yea lol ur screwed on that one, almost as bad as when i cold called 88 in 30/60 for a raise and got 3 bet on a flop of q22, had to fold. nothing u could really do about that handi woulda 3 bet and probably folded when he capped u
Old 12-23-2004, 12:44 AM

Well, after thinking about it I think this is a very bad fold. I also think I prefer calling the checkraise and raising a favorable turn, calling an overcard-non-diamond and folding a turn diamond. But I'm not sure about that. I do know I hate that fold. Think about this, if you were him and just check-raised the flop and got 3bet by the TAG PFR, would you be more likely to 4bet a pair of 10s or a two-overcard flush draw?
Old 12-23-2004, 12:47 AM

My one idea here would be that it might be better to call the fourth bet on the flop just to try and hit a 9 on the turn. Your opponent very clearly has something like A4 (maybe 10 4, but I'll take my chances against 44 or 10 10)... and you will get at the very minimum three big bets if your 9 hits on the turn. With the 7 small bet already in on the flop and the 3 pre-flop, plus the three big bets on the turn and the river (and perhaps a bunch more if your opponent starts firing...) a call of the fourth bet wouldn't be that bad.

Mathematically, a call here is not correct, but not horrible, and there may by a lot to gain psychologically by a) not folding and giving the impression that you can be pushed around and/or think to hard; and b) really annoying your opponent if you suck out on him badly on the turn (particularly considering he is already tilting).

So this might be a valuable moment to play some "bad poker," particularly in a live game.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:14 AM

Why do you narrow his hand range exclusively to monster made hands? Isn't it more likely that an aggressive, thinking player is overplaying a big draw here?
Old 12-23-2004, 01:28 AM

After he caps the flop heads-up?!? Maybe someone would be doing this with 2 diamonds and two overcards, looking for a free card on the turn, but I doubt it (it would take a pretty creative player, which this guy may have been). My guess is that that kind of agression means a 4 almost certainly.

With that said, adding the possibility of a big draw here gives even more reason to take off the turn. I would be very wary of calling down here because of the possibility your opponent is on a draw.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:38 AM

Uh, if he's tilting I've committed to a cheap showdown as soon as the hand is HU. I will not fold.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:17 AM

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but this is a live hand. No cap heads-up. Also my card club has a 5bet cap anyways. So he 4bet me knowing I could 5bet, which is a seemingly stronger move. And I didn't say simply a possibility of a draw, rather I think that a flush draw is a very likely holding here.

When I folded the hand I did it because I thought he had a pair of 10s, not trips. I think trips would have been more likely to take a different line and string me along on a flop that I, as the PFR, did not connect on. However, when I reflect on the hand, I would think that a lone pair of 10s would be likely to slow down fearing an overpair after his checkraise just got 3bet. If I dont have an overpair I am bluffing with AK/AQ(or 99 lol)and he might prefer to check call and get a few more bets out of me. Either way with an overpair or AK his best play seems to be just to call the 3bet. However, with a big draw I can easily see a tilting TAG push-push-pushing as far as I am willing to go.

Does this make any sense at all? I think I am just rambling.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:19 AM

I think I agree with this. Even if hes not tilting, on this flop does anyone see him trying to push me off a hand with AK or AQdiamonds?