Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: SNG\'s: is tight right early

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe its just my small sample set, but calling a raise with suited connectors hasnt shown the payoff i thought it might. EVerybody plays so wildly, that im facing a pretty hefty bet to see the turn.

deank,

this is a tournament where holding on to your chips is important. it preserves FE later.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive noticed that... very well put. I also had a discussion with someone that the chips early on have greater value, bc if you lose one chip, your really losing more than that one chip. For two reasons: 1) your FE, however that is quantified (perhaps as some function related to the other stacks at the table), is reduced. 2) if you double up, (and it seems like i do one out of every 2 or 3 i play), then every lost chip is really 2 lost chips.

Thoughts? Is it just playing conservative so that you can play aggressive when it matters?
Old 12-20-2005, 01:10 PM

hmm..so dont even limp 9ts on the co with like 2 guys in mp limped? should i really be playing THAT tight?
Old 12-20-2005, 01:21 PM

in the SNG's ive been playing, low buy ins and such, there are very few limped pots. a few limp in, then someone invariably freaks out with a mid PP or AJ, and reraises some ridiculous amount. I would only limp when i was confident i wouldnt have to call a raise behind, like if i was in the SB or on the button. just my experience though.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was posting specifically bc of that checklist. seems too weak/tight to me. But then, it describes my game in the early levels of SNGs perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was trying to be funny. that list is crap
Old 12-20-2005, 01:34 PM

As long as you know how to be a good shovebot late you dont really have to play anything early.