Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Sheffield = Clown

i don't think you'll be see giambi stealing many bases...

the umpire called him out for one recently when he was safe...kind of like what happened when papi got tagged out by jeter last year when he was safe
Old 08-05-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When have I EVER used OPS alone to measure a historical player's worth?

does OPS+ do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

OPS+ roughly adjusts for context by adjusting for park and the league average OPS of the player. It isn't perfect, and I prefer to use EqA anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was afraid if i introduced EqA to this debate somebody's brain might explode.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a little league coach and the last 2 years the worse hitter on my team had the highest on base %. Why? Because he was too scared to hit the ball and walked all the time. His batting ave. was .000 and his on-base % was over .400. But he was the LAST player I wanted to see at the plate with a game on the line.

OBP > than AVG

its NOT close. he is probably one of the BETTER offensive players on your team. he sounds like the perfect leadoff man.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was. Poor kid was so scared he would never run and sometimes a hitter would pass him on the basepaths. God those kids pissed me off. They would never listen.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't think you'll be see giambi stealing many bases...

the umpire called him out for one recently when he was safe...kind of like what happened when papi got tagged out by jeter last year when he was safe

[/ QUOTE ]

i am talkign about the little league situation [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am a little league coach and the last 2 years the worse hitter on my team had the highest on base %. Why? Because he was too scared to hit the ball and walked all the time. His batting ave. was .000 and his on-base % was over .400. But he was the LAST player I wanted to see at the plate with a game on the line.

OBP > than AVG

its NOT close. he is probably one of the BETTER offensive players on your team. he sounds like the perfect leadoff man.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was. Poor kid was so scared he would never run and sometimes a hitter would pass him on the basepaths. God those kids pissed me off. They would never listen.

[/ QUOTE ]

well if he cant run then i guess he shouldnt lead off.

what he needs is a good ass kicking! and your the right man for the job!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:22 PM

lol f-ing 50 different convos going on i don't know wtf is going on.

so basically, i don't know if you especially believe that giambi would be a good leadoff hitter, but that would definitely not happen because of his speed as aforementioned. it doesn't make sense to put him there, especially when he has a lot of cleanup/3-hole potential.

you attribute obp as a vital stat, which i agree, it is. however, giambi's obp can be based on that pitchers can feel free to pitch around giambi when they want because they only face bernie, posada/flaherty, womack afterwards.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

so basically, i don't know if you especially believe that giambi would be a good leadoff hitter, but that would definitely not happen because of his speed as aforementioned. it doesn't make sense to put him there, especially when he has a lot of cleanup/3-hole potential.

you attribute obp as a vital stat, which i agree, it is. however, giambi's obp can be based on that pitchers can feel free to pitch around giambi when they want because they only face bernie, posada/flaherty, womack afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or it could be based on the fact that Jason Giambi has had one of the best eyes in baseball, even back in college.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I don't think Giambi has been walked for that reason much this year. He works a lot of long at bats deep into counts, like 3-2, and doesn't swing at many bad pitches.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your argument is weak.

First of all, Giambi has 5 intentional walks this year. Sheffield and A-Rod both have 6, and Matsui 5. Giambi has the highest rate in terms of IBB/PA, but removing them from OBP will produce very minimal changes.

Aside from the IBB, the rest makes no sense at all. Usually people argue that protection HELPS batters. I've never heard anyone try to argue that having weaker hitters behind you improves your stats.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:07 AM

You don't have to IBB someone to pitch around them.