Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2004, 05:18 AM

Default $300 satellite, near final table

40 entrants in the partypoker $300 satellite to australia so there wasn't enough for an entry, prizes are 1-5th place, 1k for 5th, 5k for 1st. Blinds are 75-150, I'm on the lower end of stacks with 11 people left I have 1700, 6 handed table, folded to me on button with 33. What do you raise to, I think I misplayed my hand. Both SB and BB have me covered, table is playing loose and aggressive.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:32 AM

Default Re: $300 satellite, near final table

I'd push here. A normal raise of around 450-600 is an option but I think you're likely to get one of the blinds to raise you in defense of their blind - especially since you said the table is playing loose and aggressive. If you get re-raised what are you going to do, fold? It's not a monster but you most likely have the best hand. So you'd probably call the raise and take your chances. Why not push immediately, let them know you're committed, and see if you can win the blinds right then.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:20 AM

You consider folding here if there are several other shorter stacks than you. The final table will come together shortly, and the blinds aren't terribly high yet. Once you're at the final table you'll have some more breathing room and better opportunties to steal. Really depends on the stacks out there.

That said, if you think you have to raise here, I'd push. But be prepared to get called by A9, KQ, etc. if those larger stacks have you covered substantially.

How was your table image? I think it's very important to consider that in these situations.

It also depends on how LAG these players really are and how they defend their blinds. I have been in those situations before and folded very small pairs and made final tables because I waited for a better spot.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:51 AM

My image is medium, nothing special, I don't think these players notice one way or the other anyway. Regarding folding and getting to the final table, I had 17k or so, the average stack was about 25k. 11 left only top 5 pay, for that reason I don't like folding. Do you still like folding?
Old 11-02-2004, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My image is medium, nothing special, I don't think these players notice one way or the other anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I find that even bad/mediocre players will notice how often you are stealing the blinds or how often you have gone in preflop. If you have been conservative in both of those categories, then I don't mind a push here. I also don't mind folding because 33 is not that great against a random hand. You have just over 10 BB so you could try to raise it up to 4500-5000, but I would say that with your stack you're almost inviting a re-raise by doing so given that you're covered by both the blinds and you said the players were loose-aggressive.

It's really hard to give you a concrete, "this is the correct play" answer without knowing all your opponents' habits. Personally, I'd rather pass on this type of situation and wait for better spots (given that I have no read on your opponents, the table dynamic, etc.). You still have enough for a few orbits, and you'll probably pick up a better hand to go in with.

Moving in from the button will definitely look more suspect to the big stacks. When it gets down to so few players, I realize the strategy may be that you have to get a lot more chips for a top 5 finish, but in my experience it's just as important to be patient and wait for loose players like you described to make mistakes and move up a few spots.

Well, how'd it go?
Old 11-02-2004, 10:43 AM

I'd raise 400 hoping to take the blinds.

If I got re-raised I'd lay down.

If I see a flop with all low cards (no 3) and its checked to me, I might be tempted to push for a steal, but otherwise, no set, no bet.

This will leave you with about 9xBB if you miss which isn't the end of the world.

What did you do?

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-02-2004, 05:41 PM

I raised to 400 and immeadietly after regretted it, wished I pushed. BB raised me all in, I thought it was extremely likely I was against two overcards and with pot odds, and my stack would just be too small if I folded so I called. He had JT
Old 11-02-2004, 06:06 PM

What's wrong with limping? Calling is the new raising.