Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2005, 05:01 PM

Default A4s out of position

Aside from possibly not calling this hand PF, do you have any other tips for me? More aggressive, slow down, etc?

Do you even make these calls PF?

Thanks.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.70 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (8.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.70 BB
Old 02-27-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: A4s out of position

You don't limp in with this in UTG+1. Besides that, you protected your draw. I might bet the turn as a bluff.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to get over my love affair with an ace high flush.

I've been more likely to play the A2-5s rather than A6-9s, for the straight value, but I see your point about not playing it pre-flop. At what position do you think about calling this preflop?
Old 02-27-2005, 05:21 PM

Personally I would play it in MP+1, but if someone in a later position raises I fold it.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I would play it in MP+1, but if someone in a later position raises I fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you fold it?
Old 02-27-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't a very good generalization. If someone in later position raises, and a lot of other people have limped behind you, it's not a very good idea to fold for one more bet. More often than not, the amount of money in the pot by the time someone raises behind you will make a call more than worthwhile. You can start to think about folding if it is raised and re-raised behind you. Even then, though, it really depends on whether or not you think the other limpers will call the raises. If you think they will, you should really call. The pot is going to be huge and you have a chance to flop a draw to the nuts.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:32 PM

You'd really call a re-raise behind you? I guess it depends on where the second raise comes from. I'd be more inclined to call a raise, and then a limp-reraise as oppsosed to a raise and then a re-raise from the button, etc.

I'd be looking for a suited flop in my favor of course, but I'm sure the odds of flopping the 4 flush is small in the first place(I guess that is reason enough not to call the first bet). I have to believe that my kicker on top pair would be no good on a raised/re-raised flop. I could flop a straight or two pair, but really the strength in this hand lies in the suited Ace. Am I right or totally off base?

I can see callilng one raise if everyone behind me called. I'm going to have think about cold calling 2 or more coming back.

Good stuff. I'd rather be talking about this than doing housework. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd really call a re-raise behind you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling a raise behind you is a very different kettle of fish from calling 2 if it gets 3-bet back to you. In one case you should almost always call, and in the other you should almost always fold.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:38 PM

Why would you call for 1sb in a 2sb pot, and then fold for 1sb in a 5+sb pot?
Old 02-27-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You'd really call a re-raise behind you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling a raise behind you is a very different kettle of fish from calling 2 if it gets 3-bet back to you. In one case you should almost always call, and in the other you should almost always fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was trying to get at. Maybe I didn't get it across clearly. I can see calling one more, but proably not two.