Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2004, 11:09 PM

Default Hitting a set vs. possible flush or straight.

Here's one of my problems. I flop a set, but there's an obvious straight possible, or maybe a flush as well. I know I have 7 outs to fill up on the turn, and 10 outs on the river. The nature of No Limit makes it tough for me to push all my chips in the middle confidently, but I'm really not wanting to lay this down as well. I usually bet out and the problem comes when I get raised back.

Here's a hand. Table is fairly new to me. No one really out of line as far as maniacs go.

POKERSTARS: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($0.50/$1.00)
Table 'Alsafi' Seat #5 is the button
Seat 6: posts small blind $0.50
OPPONENT: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ME [3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Seat 8: calls $1
Seat 9: folds
Seat 1: folds
Seat 2: raises $1 to $2
ME: calls $2
Seat 4: folds
Seat 5: folds
Seat 6: folds
OPPONENT: calls $1
Seat 8: calls $1
*** FLOP *** [3c 4h 2c]
OPPONENT: checks
Seat 8: checks
Seat 2: bets $2
ME: raises $64.35 to $66.35 and is all-in
OPPONENT: raises $13.55 to $79.90 and is all-in
Seat 8: folds
Seat 2: folds
*** TURN *** [3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
*** RIVER *** [3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
OPPONENT: shows [6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] (a straight, Deuce to Six)
ME mucked [3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] - three of a kind, Threes
OPPONENT collected $140.20 from pot

QUestions:

Should I not have even called the initial raise? A mini-raise is just begging for me to come in and make big bucks when I hit my set. But of course, it also didn't push the big blind out of the pot and he hit his straight.

When the flop came, I was jumping for joy. However, there was that possible straight out there. To be honest, I was fearing A5 more than 56 out there. What should I have done?

I think pushing all-in was a mistake. I should have bet small and then seen what happens. Hypothetically, if I do bet small, and he just calls me, and does it again on the turn, then what do I do when he raises me all-in on the river? (Though he might not have with the possible flush this time). I just feel like this is a hand where I'm going to lose all my chips more often than not because I'm not really good at laying down a set. I mean, I called with a small pocket pair, and got the card I asked for right? Is this one of the skills that separates a good player from a fish?
Old 02-22-2004, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Hitting a set vs. possible flush or straight.

You raised a $10 pot $65 dollars. . . now. . .what hand do you think calls you here? Either A-5, 5-6, maybe 4-4, maybe 2-2, and just maybe A-A. ..so seems like a pot sized reraise would be more fitting for the given situation, I don't think you should have a problem laying this hand down on the river given the 4 card straight on board with a possible flush. .if you hit you take his money, if not you get out for less than your whole stack. . . .
Old 02-22-2004, 01:20 AM

Default position

It is indeed difficult to fold a set. Although, a 4-straight or 4-flush on the board is a time you probably can. However you analyze this hand, there will be slight variations to make the decisions tougher. So consider this general guideline:

When you have position, don't be in a hurry to get all-in. Though your future decisions may be tough, your opponent's will be tougher. How easy will it be for him to lay down his straight (or flush) when the board pairs? Conversely, when he has position, all-in is a better plan. Once the chips are all-in, position is worthless. Plan accordingly.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Hitting a set vs. possible flush or straight.

um the flop all-iner is a little aggressive, i wouldn't expect to be called here by any thing you beat.