Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 09:49 AM

Default 5-10 -- Sucking wind up front with a trouble hand

Game is 8 handed with the usual array of stack sizes. Table is very passive preflop. I limp AQ UTG. 5 others come along. Flop is AKQ with 2 spades. I don't have a spade. I bet $55. Villain in MP raises to $150. Folded back to me. Villain has $350 behind and I have him covered. Villain is competent but not great. He is not particularly reckless. FWIW, he is not good enough to get away from JT if I fill up. Obvious fold?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: 5-10 -- Sucking wind up front with a trouble hand

tough spot to be in with no pre flop raising some one could do this with J10 // A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J / K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], We know you have 4 outs to a j10 the most likely of all the hand and he doesnt have to much behind so your not getting great implied odds, if hes capable of folding too when the board pair you have to fold if you put him on J10.

But i dont know where hes at, AQ is a srong hand but ib be super cautious. this could be a spot where i have to double up a maniac or make a brillant laydow to a rock. It could go either way depending on how I felt. [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2005, 02:24 PM

I think your post title is aptly named. I've used up more that my 30 seconds trying to think of some line of play but the more I think about it the more it looks like villain is trying to get his stack in there. Your chance of improving looks too slim, and the chance of your two pair holding up looks just as slim. Crying fold.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:48 PM

classic example of tiny bit ahead or way behind, this would take a read in the opposite direction (reckless player) for me to put any more chips in the pot

how does your action change if the board has no suits?

isnt that a much easier fold? seems like it to me but maybe im looking at this wrong
Old 05-19-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Table is very passive preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I limp AQ UTG. 5 others come along. Flop is AKQ with 2 spades. I don't have a spade.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Villain is competent but not great. He is not particularly reckless.

[/ QUOTE ]
Given this information, in combination with villian's relatively short(er) stack size at the table, I think this is a reluctant fold.

Only hand you're beating that might be willing to give action on that flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]x [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. But I actually think the flush draw on the flop turned out in your favor, since it prevented villian from slowplaying and extracting more money from you with the ever-popular JT.