Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 04:58 AM

Default People\'s Behavior on the Internet

I've been playing alot of chess at yahoo and Im not very good. Basically 1/2 the time I make a mistake like hang a queen, my opponent will type something to me like "you so dumb" "oops", etc. When we haven't had any kind of verbal dialogue previously.

Im pretty confident that if I was playing at a real life chess club, half the time I made a mistake my opponent would not start talking crap to me, especially in a casual non-tournament environment. Is it because, they really want to but are too cowardly to do it face to face?

Is yahoo chess just full of teenagers? This has always interested me, how rudely people act when there is anonymity. Are most people rude, but afraid to show it in person or are rude people just attracted to the internet so its overran with them?

What are your thoughts?
Old 09-12-2005, 05:03 AM

Default Re: People\'s Behavior on the Internet

The reason is that, generally speaking, people are assholes.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason is that, generally speaking, people are assholes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally speaking people are not assholes. It's just a weird phenomenon that people's egos grow out of control on the internet. Even the most shy, modest people can become mean and somehow justify it to themselves.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:06 AM

People are very, very rude on the internet. There's no comeback, so a lot just don't care. It's a bit like aggressive driving - you feel cocooned, so don't really consider consequences.

I don't think it's rude people are attracted to the internet, it just generally lowers peoples' consideration for others in what they say.

Can't you turn the chat off?
Old 09-12-2005, 05:12 AM

Im not aware of an ability to turn the chat off, but Im surprised that I need to, because of the extreme level of low civility. And its not just like a lack of consideration, its people going out of their way to try to ridicule someone else they dont know.

I know its a pretty small sample size, but just seeing how people treat each other on the internet dissapoints me with humanity.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:12 AM

People are de-humanized on the Internet. Since we can't see each other's faces, it's tougher to relate to other Internet users as actual people. Plus, it's fun to type "pwnd" when you leave your queen open to be brutally raped by a lowly pawn.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People are de-humanized on the Internet. Since we can't see each other's faces, it's tougher to relate to other Internet users as actual people. Plus, it's fun to type "pwnd" when you leave your queen open to be brutally raped by a lowly pawn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that fun? Whenever my opponents hang a queen I see no need to rub their mistake in their face.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is that fun? Whenever my opponents hang a queen I see no need to rub their mistake in their face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, sometimes it is fun, sometimes it isn't. I sometimes find it fun when some ahole has been rude to me, but generally, I'm with you - if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything.

I ignore it now.

I did used to get bothered by stuff like people wishing you dead, but asked for advice on the psychology forum, and they put me straight. Ignore it!
Old 09-12-2005, 05:15 AM

The internet seems to magically make any trace of humanity vanish. I don't quite understand why, yet I still fall into it's spell. I think it's because, to a certain degree, nothing on the internet actually matters, dildo brains.

See? It's just so fun to be an ass on the interenet.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im pretty confident that if I was playing at a real life chess club, half the time I made a mistake my opponent would not start talking crap to me, especially in a casual non-tournament environment.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other half the time the people are really obnoxious. I went to a chess club once and I went to a chess tourny once. Chess people are incredibly obnoxious and egotistical.

P.S use ICC. Just always sign on as a guest.