Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Girlfriend\'s advice... I think it is good

Due to some circumstances, for the next few months, my poker income is important. Maybe not do or die... but right on the line.

Anyway, the last two weeks or so, I have been on one of those great hot streaks. It is especially refreshing, because the last couple months, have been full of downs swings and prolonged breakeven streaks.

I was talking to my GF last night about when to move up to 10/20 from 5/10 full. She plays on line poker off and on at various micr-limits, maybe 5,000 hands a month or so. Also she has watched my development over the last year and a half or so.

So I told her my plan and when I thought I would move up. She said something like "You know what... you are not ready yet.". She then went on and explained, she meant not ready for the $$$ swings. As soon as she said that I realised she was probably right.

Just the last couple months I have gotten to the point where an 80-100BB swing does not really bother me, except as far as paying more attention to reviewing hands. However being honest a $1,600 -$2,000 swing would probably shake me a bit.

I kind of think this is an observation, that probably only a "significant other", could really throw out there. So anyway... I am pretty happy that I have someone close to me who can be totally objective about the sometimes complex emotional issues associated with poker.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Girlfriend\'s advice... I think it is good

Wow. I hope you're getting laid tonight for that big kiss ass post. You really hit a home run with the final two sentences, nice job.

[ QUOTE ]
the sometimes complex emotional issues associated with poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol
Old 10-04-2005, 02:16 PM

Got any pix?!
Old 10-04-2005, 02:42 PM

I would tend to agree with her advice. I wish I could follow that advice as easily as I give it.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. I hope you're getting laid tonight for that big kiss ass post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice read.

But seriously, bankroll considerations aside, I play my best in a game where it isn't going to phase me at all to lose a few buy-ins in one sitting.

Sometimes it also helps not to keep your eye on your short term profit. Just sit down and buy in for the max. When you're done, close the program without even checking to see how much you are up or down.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:29 PM

The way I move up levels is to play one table at the next level up while multi-tabling 3 tables at my current level. (I play $100 NL and am experimenting with $200NL). Once I get comfortable with the betting patterns and swings at the new level I add more tables. Eventually, I find that I have no interest in playing my old level (unless variance dictates otherwise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

Also, without pictures most of us think there is a better than 50% chance your "girlfriend" was ordered from the Internet and requires inflation in order to be used properly. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2005, 04:37 PM

I don't know why you would need someone else to point out to you the possibility of dropping 80+BB at a given limit.

You know that it's very possible and will happen at some point if you play at that limit for any length of time.

It seems as though you were completely ignoring this possibility and that your GF was the one who pointed it out to you.

I would be a bit concerned by the fact that you were ignoring this basic bankroll-management stuff (don't play at any limit unless you are mentally prepared to drop 80BB's RIGHT NOW).
Old 10-04-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why you would need someone else to point out to you the possibility of dropping 80+BB at a given limit.

You know that it's very possible and will happen at some point if you play at that limit for any length of time.

It seems as though you were completely ignoring this possibility and that your GF was the one who pointed it out to you.

I would be a bit concerned by the fact that you were ignoring this basic bankroll-management stuff (don't play at any limit unless you are mentally prepared to drop 80BB's RIGHT NOW).

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to have a bad habit of misinterpreting or missing the point in many of my posts.

The fact that I might drop 80BB at a limit is not news to me. Nor is the fact that during a certain period of time I will probably drop 200BB. These things have happened to me. I expect them.

My point was is that I thought I was ready for something. She disagreed and was able to point out why. The reason she was able to point out why is her familiarity with my thought processes and the ability to ascertain with a reasonable level of accuracy how I will react to certain events.

So no, it is not a case of "completely ignoring the possibility". Nor is it case of lack of understanding of "Basic bankroll management".
Old 10-04-2005, 06:37 PM

She gave you some good advice - women often do.

My question to you is, how is it going at the 10-20 full?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just the last couple months I have gotten to the point where an 80-100BB swing does not really bother me, except as far as paying more attention to reviewing hands. However being honest a $1,600 -$2,000 swing would probably shake me a bit

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the reason I have not moved up to the 10-20 6 max from the 5-10 6 max.

Financially my bankroll could take 200 BB hits at the 50-100 game and I would still be in excellent shape.
Emotionally, to have a 200 BB swing at the 10-20 6 max, I would break my keyboard, mouse monitor or worse.
I am not ready for it yet.