Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 04:02 PM

Default Taking a free card on the flop

I was playing the local b+m 3/6 game last night when I was reminded of a situation I really didn't know what to do with. When you flop a 4 straight or flush with two or three other players acting before you. If both players check to you on the flop, it seems like it would be a good idea to bet in an attempt to buy a free card on the turn. However I've found that this bet doesn't carry the credibility that a raise does(which does make sense) so I've found its not incredibly common for the turn to be checked to you for the free card. Would it make more sense to take the free card on the turn, see if you improve and then decide what to do on the turn. I hope this makes sense. All comments apprecieated.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Taking a free card on the flop

I usually try and buy the pot at this point - but it helps a lot to have to face cards in your hand. If you are drawing to a smaller flush/straight then you don't have the added benefit of being able to win with a high pair. If you can steal the pot 20% of the time, you definitly want to bet. If you can only steal it 10% of the time and then make the flush/straight .33% of that .90% = .27% of the time, then you will lose money against a single caller if he bets the turn and you call.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2004, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Taking a free card on the flop

Bet the flop. If you get a couple of calls then the bet has cost you nothing because you are only 1.86:1 against completing a flush by the river and 2.18:1 against with an OESD. If someone folds then you have gained equity in the pot so either way it is really a free bet. You might pick-up the pot and you might get a free card so you are getting something for nothing.

Also, if the flop is checked through you may not have the odds to call a bet on the turn. For example, 3 players see the flop unraised, that's 3 SB in the pot. Now the flop is checked thru and the 2nd guy bets on the turn. You are only getting 2.5:1.

Lost Wages