Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Table Selection (no hand)

Can anyone give me some tips on selecting a good 6max table what to look for? Pot size used to be what i looked for but those table are always full of lags and maniacs. Is there a better way to find a decent table? Should I load em and watch a few hands?
Old 11-16-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Table Selection (no hand)

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone give me some tips on selecting a good 6max table what to look for? Pot size used to be what i looked for but those table are always full of lags and maniacs. Is there a better way to find a decent table? Should I load em and watch a few hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

- sort lobby by # of players
- start opening up 5 player tables, sit down and sit out. I will usually open 4-8 at a time to 3-4 table.
- wait for the next hand to start and PA HUD to kick in
- stand up or sit in. be courteous and do this step quickly, don't hog the seat if you're not going to use it.
- repeat until I am sitting at 3-4 good tables
- once I have my tables up, open up a bunch of six player tables to get to the limit of ten
- datamine, watch tables for fish, join waiting list if it looks good. I will often join five or ten waiting lists. when I get called I take the seat, see if the fish left and make sure I have a good seat, decide whether this table is better than one of my existing ones, etc..

basically I try to keep this going constantly throughout my session, always looking for a better table.

I am looking for the 65/5/.4 guys. I'm shooting for at least two >40/<10/<1.5 guys in the three seats to my right.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:16 PM

Let me prefix with saying that while I've played a lot of shorthanded play in the last two weeks, i have little before that.

But I've found that the biggest factor for me is relative position and opponents. You will not be able to determine these from any statistics.

I've been running on the loose aggressive side and have found that there are two things that will completely kill my chances of making money. Calling stations and bad position on aggressive players. If you are trying to steal a lot of pots and people are calling, you simply Have to leave. Also aggressive players have to be equally managed. Outside those two factors your equity is Entirely based on your aggression, mix of play and reads you make on your opponents. Also how well you've studied TOP. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 04:24 PM

I start up and join a bunch of tables. Once pokerace kicks in I just take a quick look at their stats. I also immediately avoid tables where I see 2-3 strong players whos names I recognize. I also want at least 1-2 fish to my right for me to exploit/isolate. This can be either a poor LAG or loose passive. I prefer tight passive or non-tricky players to my left. Even if a table has 2-3 fish to my left but 2-3 strong players to my right I generally avoid the table. This is at 10/20 btw.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've been running on the loose aggressive side and have found that there are two things that will completely kill my chances of making money. Calling stations and bad position on aggressive players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling stations certainly do not kill your chances of making money. I'd love a table of calling stations.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

- sort lobby by # of players
- start opening up 5 player tables, sit down and sit out. I will usually open 4-8 at a time to 3-4 table.
- wait for the next hand to start and PA HUD to kick in
- stand up or sit in. be courteous and do this step quickly, don't hog the seat if you're not going to use it.
- repeat until I am sitting at 3-4 good tables
- once I have my tables up, open up a bunch of six player tables to get to the limit of ten
- datamine, watch tables for fish, join waiting list if it looks good. I will often join five or ten waiting lists. when I get called I take the seat, see if the fish left and make sure I have a good seat, decide whether this table is better than one of my existing ones, etc..

basically I try to keep this going constantly throughout my session, always looking for a better table.

I am looking for the 65/5/.4 guys. I'm shooting for at least two >40/<10/<1.5 guys in the three seats to my right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great advice. I hope noone uses it at 10/20 as my table selection is impeccable. (As is yours)

Krishan
Old 11-16-2005, 04:44 PM

Oh, Absolutely. Just an example of having to adjust your style to the players at the table. Or finding a table suitable to your style. There is an indirect relationship between the calling station profitability and ones LAG'iness. But keep in mind. As your TAG increases you also become more dependant on calling stations for equity as observant players will be paying you off less.

My individual style is more active which was the basis for the statement.