Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Anyone like this play?

Sorry I don't have the history, so I'll approx-
PS $25NL - Full Table (10 players)

V1 (villain 1) - ~$25 -- Has gone up and down... mostly hovering around this amount. Have noticed any terrible plays.
V2 (villain 2) - ~$5 -- When I arrived at the table awhile ago, he had around $15. His stack has gone down with poor play. Calls raises with absolute crap. Will go to town with middle pair. Not afraid to call down bets with TP 4 kicker... you know the type. Real Fish.
Hero ~$32.

V1 in SB
V2 in MP
Hero in Late position.

V2 limps. Hero with RED Queens raises to $1.5 (6xbb). Folds to V1 who calls. V2 calls.

FLOP ($4.75) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

V1 calls. V2 goes all in ($3.50) HERO CALLS. V1 calls.

TURN ($15.25) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])

Hero bets $5. V2 Raises to $7. Hero calls.

RIVER ($29.25) J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Hero Bets $7. V2 thinks and thinks... and calls.

Here's my thoughts.... Calling V2s flop all in was risky but here's what went through my mind... (1) the guy is a total fish. He would be just the type to make a terrible bluff. I've also seen him bet with less then top pair. There's a chance I already have him beat. (2) I have 2 chances to catch the 2nd nut flush draw, so I have outs. and (3) I'm fairly certain if I don't fold, V1 is likely to come along for the ride... which I'm willing to risk because If I hit, I'm willing to go for a sidepot.

From the turn on... I have the 2nd nut flush. If the King of hearts is out there, its just as likely to be in the hand of the guy who already went all in. Since I really only fear one card... I'm willing to risk a bundle. My small turn and river bet was really to induce a call.

Comments?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Anyone like this play?

Would it help solicit feedback if I mentioned that all the avatars in the hand were cats? I know it doesn't change the hand much, but if you're a cat lover, you can't rightly ignore this thread now.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:04 PM

Can you clear up the turn action for me, i dont understand how you bet 5 and he raises to 7. Thanks
Old 02-23-2005, 01:12 PM

He did a wimpy minraise on me. (I'm approximating all numbers... the gist of it was that he did a very tiny raise.)

Which I should mention... with a really good player, I might fear the minraise as an attempt for a the made hand to be 'milking me'. Though at these tables, very rarely do I come across players that sophisticated.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:53 PM

I would be shocked if V1 had K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] here (before the river, no way he calls with it there either). Why raise the turn when you have the nuts? Thus I think you got most of what you could.

It would help if you could put V1 on a range of hands preflop. On the flop, he might be calling with AK or AQ here , or with low [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] connectors.

I think the second is most likely.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:26 PM

A little confused by the flop action... it says "V1 calls" before anyone has bet. Did he just check?

I think the question on the flop is whether you want a sidepot. If you think V1 has an ace, you want to draw cheaply. So you don't want to raise in this situation, I would think. If you think V2 has an ace, you once again are drawing. If V1 is also drawing in this case, he's only drawing better than you if he has the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and could possibly beat you if he has a SF draw.

So in either case, you want action. Obviously, if both are drawing (presumably dead), you want action. So in all cases, you call the flop bet.

With the turn and river bets, it looks like you got as much out of the hand as you could.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:17 PM

"Did he just check?" Yes. Early morning sloppiness on my part.

"I think the question on the flop is whether you want a sidepot." I was hoping for it.

"So you don't want to raise in this situation, I would think." Correct. Which is why I only called the flop. I figured if I raised, I would ruin any possibility of a sidepot.

"So in either case, you want action. Obviously, if both are drawing (presumably dead), you want action. So in all cases, you call the flop bet." That's what I wanted to know... I wasn't sure if I was making a moronic call. I think without the opportunity for a sidepot, and my absolute lack of fear in the playing abilities of the all-in player I would have usually folded.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Anyone like this play? RESULTS

In case anyone was wondering....
$33 pot.
V2 - Mucks... and leaves the table. His hand will forever be a mystery.
V1 - typed, "That sucks. I had a set of 9s."

Hero takes juicy pot. So... I won, but I'm not sure it was a good play (at least on the flop.) I have no problem betting with the 2nd nut flush in this situation. If he had the king... "my bad" and move on.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it help solicit feedback if I mentioned that all the avatars in the hand were cats? I know it doesn't change the hand much, but if you're a cat lover, you can't rightly ignore this thread now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. Just plain awesome.

- Trail
Old 02-23-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Anyone like this play? RESULTS

I like your play.