Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 04:43 AM

Default Tough turn decision??

Ten-handed home game, $1/$2 blinds, a ton of action. Average stack at the table is about $1K. I have $600 in front of me. My main opponent in this hand is way too loose preflop, super aggressive on all streets, but capable of making a big laydown if faced with a decision. I'm in the cutoff with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG +1 raises to $15 (which is typical in this game - preflop action is very indiscriminate and most players are LAG), 3 callers to me, I call, button calls, blinds fold.

5 players, $93 to the flop. Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG +1 bets $40, two folds, I call (??), button raises to $120. UTG +1 folds, I call (??). He has about $1,200 in front of him. He could have anything from an open-ender to the nuts.

Turn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I have about $450 in front of me. I'm 100% sure he's betting about $200 here if I check. What's my play?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Tough turn decision??

I think i wouldve raised UTG+1's bet to 120 in order to try to force the button out of the hand so you have position for the turn/river. In your line of play i think i would attempt a weak lead on the turn of maybe 80-100 and go from there.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:37 AM

i dont like this situation. out of position with a draw in a big pot i would consider going allin on flop although that may give away your hand. Given that you didnt I think check call any bet the size of the pot or less as you have 15? outs assuming he doesnt have a set I dont think you have much folding equtiy no matter if you checraise allin or bet allin yourself. If you move in he will see this as a weak hand trying to get some folding equity and checkraising allin would get him too far involved to lay his hand down. Next time you play with him make sure you cover him =) and play in position with draws makes lifes much easier. you have more than 15 outs if an ace will win the pot and if he could do this play with KTh his really in deep [censored]. but he could also have a set or maybe a straight giving you some trouble.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:09 AM

i'd push. you have close to proper odds to call a push, so if he calls you're not in bad shape. hopefully he'll lay down a 1-pair type hand.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:26 PM

That's what I ended up doing. He thought for a LONG time, then called my remaining $434 with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hit the river, and I lost the pot. In hindsight, I guess I may have won the pot if I bet $150 or so on the turn and pushed on the river, though I'm not sure I'd have followed through there anyway. I still could've went all-in if he raised me on the turn, which wouldn't have been the end of the world, given my 15 outs.

It was just a real messy situation I got myself into in the first place.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:30 PM

check your pm please
Old 09-01-2004, 07:19 PM

I figured I had five options here.

A. Push all my chips in the middle. This obviously puts the most pressure on him, and he'd have to make a real tough decision with an overpair or two little pair. I'd more than likely get him to lay down any draws or a hand like 87s.

B. Bet $150 or so. Hopefully this would slow him down. He could very well raise me all-in if I make this best, which I'd obviously call, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm willing to go to the felt at this point. If he did just check-call, which I'd prefer, I'd have $284 left to play with on the river. I can't imagine a hand he'd have that he'd fold to this bet given the pot size, but I guess there's a 10% chance or so of that as well. The bad part about this is that if he is on a draw, he's seeing the river a lot more cheaply than in option (A).

C. Check-call the $200, save $234 for the river, and make my decision when that card comes. I think this is pretty bad poker though. I already felt like quite the calling station after the flop. This is the only option of the four that I definitely have chips left after the hand if I lose though. There's a chance I do in (B) as well.

D. Check-raise all-in when he bet the $200. This is the only way I could get all his money in on this street if he was on a draw. If he is on a draw, I'm almost definitely ahead right now. And my draw probably has more outs than his anyway. There's relatively little chance he'd fold to my check-raise his he's so pot committed though. Maybe a 10% chance again at best.

E. Check-fold when he bets the $200. I'd rather gouge my own eyes out than choose this option, and I certainly shouldn't be playing in this game if I'm seriously considering it.

There are definitely pros and cons to four of the five plays, excluding E, in which case I'd lose all self-respect for myself as a human being. The only advantage I could see to choosing that option is that I could take the $434 I still had and buy a nice dress for myself since I'd have played the hand like a little girl.

Was (B) clearly the correct play??