Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2004, 12:43 AM

Default 9/9 heads up at the end

in double shootout for Wcoop main event entry i got 9/9 on the button heads up.
Both of us had around 6500 chips with 200/400 blinds. i raised 400 (looking for action). There had been very few reraises with nothing so i was not that worried about getting played back at if the opponenent had nothing. my opponent went all in over the top of me and i called. he had 10/10 and won. i had played extremely well prior to this hand and was very disappointed with this play. in hindsight, i had to assume i was probably a coin flip, best case, and i feel i could have picked a much better spot than calling an all in to try and win the table.
does anyone feel i played this hand well or does everyone agree that it was a poor play?
overplaying medium pairs in this type of situation seems to be a leak in my game so i appreciate your feedback.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:26 AM

Default Re: 9/9 heads up at the end

Do you think he was dissapointed in 'overplaying' his medium pocket pair?
Old 08-06-2004, 02:47 AM

Ddbois he's talking about his own mid-pocket pair, bozo,
Old 08-06-2004, 06:25 AM

I dont think u can be dissapointed about getting ur money in with 99 here, if u think about it ur hands couldve just as easily been reversed and u both wouldve played it the same way. I dont think anybody would be able to get away from 99 heads up and you shouldnt feel bad about the way you played it.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:50 PM

You put in a small raise (as a percentage of your whole stack) and can easily get away from this hand. If this was a live game would you call a raise of this size with your entire stack? No.

I realize that this is a tournament, but you played a long time to get to the final table and a shot at the money. Why take a coin-flip (at best) for all the cash? You even said there had been very few reraises with nothing so you knew better.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2004, 12:54 PM

There's a world of difference between raising and calling all-in with hands like this. That's why he should be disappointed with the call, and his opponent shouldn't be upset with the re-raise.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:43 PM

You should feel both good and bad. I do too because I suffered the same outcome last night on Party Super Thursday tourney. There were 30 people left and the blinds were something like 300/600. I had 6K in chips. Action was dreadfully slow with one aggressive raise and everyone else folding every given hand. In late position I get pocket 9's and everyone in front of me folds. I raise to 1200. The guy on the button with about 8K chips goes all-in. I contemplate. I put him on A-K or A-Q or two high cards. I also have the issue that if I don't play this hand I have just reduced my chip count to a level of soon becoming a short stack. So I take my chances and go all-in. He has pocket Q's and I get busted out. I make 800 bucks which is not too shoddy but (probably) could have made the final table with more careful play. The same aggression which made me the chip leader at one time during the mid part of the tourney busted me down to 6K in chips and then out of the tourney. At this point in my brief poker history (I have been playing only 6 months) I am deeply contemplating just exactly how I should balance aggression with good cards and luck. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2004, 02:05 PM

With 6500 chips, blinds 200/400, and a wimpy raise with 99, you had to be prepared to call a small raise and drop that hand to a larger raise.

As with most hands, it is better to be the bettor than it is to be the caller. Chances are you are in a coin toss or are way behind. Not a good enough chance you are way ahead to call that bet IMO.