Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Boring Live MTT Hand

$100 live MTT, 165 people, blinds 50-100 ave. stack ~3000

Hero 4500

Villian came to table short stacked, raised pre-flop, check-raised all in with 8 high against the tables big stack, took down the pot uncontested and showed his 8-2o

1 orbit later, Hero in BB with A6o
2 limpers MP2/MP3, villian limps CO, sb completes, Hero checks

Flop J64 rainbow (500), checked round villian pushes for 1050, sb folds, do you call? The question is was the first hand a set-up for later on? my read was villian showed simply to display that he outplayed the table, given my comfortable stack and low blinds, is this an insta-call?
Old 10-27-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Boring Live MTT Hand

i definitely don't think this is an insta-call, but there is some merit to calling, i think. Given the reads on this guy, i'm inclined to think that he is short-stacked because of these types of plays and this might be an easy way for you to pick up an extra T1k.

Unfortunately, you may make the correct call but he could have lots and lots of outs (or he could have three outs if you have his 6 dominated). You also have two active players behind you, although with each check the likelihood of them having anything worth calling with decreases significantly.

I don't think the question is whether the earlier hand was a setup, the question is do you like variance? I would be equally expectant to see JJ, 43 or complete air since he couldn't bet JJ without committing himself and couldn't fail with a bluff and recover......i think he pushes here with whatever two cards he happens to have.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:51 PM

this is pretty close. i would probably call.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:54 PM

Very close. If you feel he's destined to make these types of bets frequently, you might want to wait for a better spot. You might be ahead, but if he really is consistently uber aggressive, you will likely soon find yourself in a spot where you're definitely ahead. That, combined with the fact that the previous hand could have been a set up, makes me think that laying it down is a better idea.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:07 PM

I think the variance statment is bang-on, I figured it was 50/50 him having a J, with 1:1.5 pot odds I should have called. I folded, so did MP2 and 3 as they were itching to do. Villian showed A9o, which bring up a good question, this was a very solid table, does showing a big bluff do the opposite against good players and induce increased folding for fear of that earlier hand being a set up?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very close. If you feel he's destined to make these types of bets frequently, you might want to wait for a better spot. You might be ahead, but if he really is consistently uber aggressive, you will likely soon find yourself in a spot where you're definitely ahead. That, combined with the fact that the previous hand could have been a set up, makes me think that laying it down is a better idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I take the side that if he makes these bets frequently, you need to get his chips before someone else does. It's much more likely that someone ELSE finds themselves definitely ahead and busts him than that you do.

I call, but I also looked at the results, so don't listen to me.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is pretty close. i would probably call.

[/ QUOTE ]

my fault, i misread the post. i didn't realize there were two active players besides maniac. i'd fold then.

if i were MP2 or MP3 and i had something, i would check to maniac every time, so their checks don't mean anything. they'll also know you don't need much to call maniac, so they may overcall with a hand like KJ.

edit: would be nice to know stacks for other limpers.