Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Basic AK/AQ questions when facing reasonable opponents

I'm having a hard time with the transition from LHE to NL when it comes to knowing how hard to push reasonably decent hands. If I could get some feedback from you guys on these 2 situations it would be helpful.

Assume full game, 100BB stacks or larger, unknown opponents but they appear reasonable.

Situation 1:

You hold AK in MP, EP limps, LAG raises in EP to 3.5x, solid reasonable makes it 10x BB (perhaps to isolate).

Whats the play, and does it change if it is AKs?

Situation 2:

You open UTG for 3.5x with AQ or AK, and get 2 cold callers, both early to mid position. Flop comes A rag rag with 2 of a suit, say that the rags are even coordinated like a 2 and 4, or 3 and 5, (so it puts a straight and a flush draw up).

You bet the pot (10x) on the flop and are raised to (30x), so 20bb's to call for turn. Again, assuming a reasonable appearing, but unknown opponent, what's the play here? How much would holding AK vs. AQ change things?

Basic questions I'm sure, but areas I'm unsure of.

Thanks,

Nigel
Old 10-21-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Basic AK/AQ questions when facing reasonable opponents

Q1. i wouldn't play AKs against a raise and reraise.

Q2. Playing TPTK against a raise or check-raise on the flop is hard. I think you need to decide how likely it is that villain is playing a draw here, and play accordingly. OOP i think I lay this down a lot of the time - it's just too expensive to get to showdown.

TPTK is not a hand you want to back with your stack on a relatively draw free board. Against an opponent that you have seen play aggressive draws, with a flop of say A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] might be a good place to play back.