Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: What to do with next 9 months of my life?

[ QUOTE ]
It looked long so I'm just assuming you are pregnant.

[/ QUOTE ]

if that was the case this would be a trip report, do you see why?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:56 PM

Do nothing for 9 months. It will be your last chance to do that for 45 more years.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:04 PM

In terms of the gap, you're really talking about 2 years (unless I totally misread your post.) A couple of months more isn't going to look any better or any worse. If you wanted you could just say that you were home schooled focusing on probablity.

Getting a crappy job in a restaurant will not be a resume builder. If your resume just says HS grad at 16, I don't think a lot of places would want you for more than grunt mailroom type stuff.

Ask the 'rents where they think you should apply. I think if you go through the application motions and not get an offer, they'll get off your back. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is actually more about getting my parents off my back, I am pretty laid back and have been a huge slacker in life. I am more than happy to just lounge around until college. i'll def be there this week btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like your parents actually have a point. you should listen to them, rather than try to get them off your back. they are trying to teach you some structure in your life, see that you can motivate yourself.

whatever productive you choose to do after college/poker/travel, it will be a far cry from the slacker lifestyle you've had and are bound to have through college.

take this from a slacker who was you 8 years ago. btw, an internship is actually a really good idea.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:07 PM

here's what i don't understand. why do people play squash? seems to me like it's just a sucky version of racquetball where the ball doesn't want to bounce.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:17 PM

Did you ever post your life story or whatever? You said it was really interesting when youve commented about your life in the past.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
here's what i don't understand. why do people play squash? seems to me like it's just a sucky version of racquetball where the ball doesn't want to bounce.

[/ QUOTE ]

squash >>>>>>>> racquetball
Old 11-28-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you ever post your life story or whatever? You said it was really interesting when youve commented about your life in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd say its much more "unconventional" than interresting, whenever i meet people and explain it its always surprising but i don't think its the kind of thing you could write a book about.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

squash >>>>>>>> racquetball

[/ QUOTE ]

explain please. i have only played racquetball, so i can't comment on squash directly, but i have heard from people who have played both and they say squash sucks compared to rb. no fast action, the ball is deadzo, etc.

racquetball is my favorite game. if anyone wants to play in boston area let me know
Old 11-28-2005, 04:39 PM

Haven't read the responses yet.

[ QUOTE ]
They want me to get a resume building internship or something like that. They don't want me to be wasting this time doing something which looks like a huge gap in my life to future employers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Future employers won't give a rat's tuckus about what you did before college. Your folks are shooting an angle.

What do you want to study in college? What are your interests? If you can intern/work in a field that interests you then you may consider doing that for its own sake. Otherwise, I say you should have fun, play poker, maybe offer kick some $ to your folks each week/month until you go to school.

Not sure how well you're doing at cards, but maybe you and you parents could work out a savings/investment plan for some percentage of your earnings. Your folks want to see that you understand responsibility. This may be a good approach.

Aside from that, I strongly suggest that you enjoy the next few months, then enjoy the four years of school, then start to figure out how to be a "real person" later. Have fun.