Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 01:19 PM

Default $10+1 rebuy, in the money....

I'm UTG with A10o, I played tight and people know it.
8 handed - Blinds 3000/6000 antes 400.
I have 30k, average is 90k
Paid 99, 88 remaining

What do you do?

If you fold, what you you need to go all-in?
If you go all-in, with what hands would you do it?
If you call, I think this is very odd...

I ran into AA, but I don't want to be result oriented!!!

Only 10s+, AQ and AK would have called me I think...
Old 11-18-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: $10+1 rebuy, in the money....

I agonize over this for a while and fold. You can't call, that's way too much of your stack to call UTG, someone is going to raise you. And going all-in UTG with ATo is not a good situation. I think your range on what would call you mostly makes sense (I'd probably say 88+, AJ/AQ/AK), though you didn't give stack sizes for the rest of the table. If there's a significant chip leader who could afford to lose 30k, you have to widen that range.

UTG in this situation without knowing stack sizes for the rest of the table, to push I think I need AQ/AK, 77+. Maybe AJ or KQ.

So it's a fold for me, but not by much.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:48 PM

I would not look at this hand as much as maybe the hands before this. I dont think you can be faulted for moving in here because you stack will be so small if you move through the blinds that a double up will almost be meaningless. I dont know what happened on or near the bubble or right after the bubble broke, but maybe you had some more chances to pick up blins then so that you would be in good enough chip shape to not have to play this.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:58 PM

With 5BB left, there's no agonizing over this. If you don't push here, you'll be pushing two random cards from the BB. Just push this reasonably strong holding and hope for the best.

Your alternative is to fold, let the blinds and antes eat your stack, and hope against all hope and probability that you get a better hand than ATo next orbit, so you can push with significantly diminished fold equity for a chance to win a smaller pot if you're called.

BTW, with your stack where it is I think you underestimate the range of hands that call you. A big stack could call or reraise with any ace, any pair, or even a broadway combo like KQ or KJ.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:15 PM

push - 5 big blinds left - in the money but not in the real money
Old 11-18-2005, 02:15 PM

I think that this is as good of a hand as any (considering what info you have told us.) to push. Your 30k is about 1/3 of most people's stack, which is a lot for them to possibly lose. You will be the first one in the pot and that brings the Gap Concept into play. (Someone will need a better hand to call you with.) If someone does call you, you hope that it is a pair smaller than your 10 and that you have a coinflip. Once you win the coinflip, or just the blinds, your stack will still be small and you will have to pick another spot to double up. If you don't go all in on this hand, the blinds and antes will eat at you and you will not pose much of a theat to anyone.

I think that your goal in this situation is to push to try and steal blinds, with medium hands and higher, to try and build your stack. You dont have the time or chips to wait on premium hands.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG in this situation without knowing stack sizes for the rest of the table, to push I think I need AQ/AK, 77+. Maybe AJ or KQ.

So it's a fold for me, but not by much.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are your chances of getting one of these hands within the next orbit? I realize you may expand your range a bit if it's folded to you in late position, but if Hero waits even until he's the button, his stack's down from 30k to 19.8k, reducing his fold equity and reducing his resulting stack if he's called and wins.

ATo is a gift in this spot. Get the money in. You're not going to make the final table by waiting until you're at 2BB to push AK.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:38 PM

I've been burned by ATo so many times that I hate to have to push it UTG.

And I don't think you need one of the hands I listed in that range during the next orbit to push. That was my range for a UTG push. I'd need a lot less to push in a better preflop position. I'm folding because I think I'm going to get a hand that is pushable at least based on position (rather than hand strength) if I wait.

I'd rather wait and risk losing some FE and stack size to get a hand where I have better preflop position and have a better chance to buy blinds with less action behind me. But like I said, it's a really close fold for me. AJ I'd very likely push. I'd say AT is exactly on my personal borderline for fold/push for this situation.

Seems like most everyone else sees this as an easy push, so maybe this is a leak for me, but I don't really consider ATo a "gift" in this situation. Pushing UTG with a 1/3 average stack, you're very likely going to get called and the bad side of a coinflip is probably the best you're going to get out of it. If you wait until you have better position, you might have lost of a big portion of your stack, but at least you still have chips in front of you.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:50 PM

No big stack at my table, 1 with 120k, 2 around 90k, 2 between 60-90k, SB and BB at 30-40k.

I thought about it for a long time...

I don't like to be in that position (low stack entering the money) but I had a bad beat a couple of hands before TPTK against str8/flush draw and he got it.

It's not that easy a push. Why not fold your blind and push on the butoon and CO? I still make a big bet 3*BB and I have my tight image.

Push/fold are very close...
Old 11-18-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not fold your blind and push on the butoon and CO?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because at this stage of the tourney unless the table is übertight, the chances of it being folded to you on the button or CO are slim. And even if it is, SB or BB with any hald decent holding will call you. I think you overestimate the effect of your tight image, people know you will push trash with your stack when it's folded to you in LP. Unless you have a donk/tight image. Easy push.