Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Bartolo Colon Wins AL Cy Young

No starter has ever won the Cy Young award with 16 (or fewer) wins in a season (Sutcliffe had 4 before he got to the Cubs). So there is no doubt that Colon's 20 wins "look" better than Santana's 16 wins. Couple that with the fact that the voters like to give awards to players on contending teams (sorry D. Lee), and Colon starts looking better and better.

I am not saying that Colon is better than Santana (he isn't), but I understand why the voters chose him over Santana.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:07 PM

I can't believe people are arguing over this. Johan Santana had a better year than Bartolo Colon. Anyone who says differently simply does not know what he is talking about. It is not subjective, it is not an opinion. This year Santana was better than Colon (by a lot).
Old 11-09-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe people are arguing over this. Johan Santana had a better year than Bartolo Colon. Anyone who says differently simply does not know what he is talking about. It is not subjective, it is not an opinion. This year Santana was better than Colon (by a lot).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% correct. Also, Win Shares suck if they think that AJones was the 26th best player in the NL. He was a top-5 player, but no better than third, as Pujols and Lee were both better (and more valuable, whatever the hell that means).
Old 11-10-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% correct. Also, Win Shares suck if they think that AJones was the 26th best player in the NL. He was a top-5 player, but no better than third, as Pujols and Lee were both better (and more valuable, whatever the hell that means).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not gonna try to name 25 players better than AJ, but I can definitely name at least 5.

Pujols, Lee, Bay, Cabrera, B. Giles

Consideration also goes to: Chase Utley, Carlos Delgado, Morgan Ensberg, David Wright, Bobby Abreu, Todd Helton, and Jeff Kent.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not gonna try to name 25 players better than AJ, but I can definitely name at least 5.

Consideration also goes to: Chase Utley, Carlos Delgado, Morgan Ensberg, David Wright, Bobby Abreu, Todd Helton, and Jeff Kent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations, you named exactly one. And that's even arguable.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:31 AM

Jones finished 12th in the league in OPS. He finished 5th in slugging, and 41st in on-base percentage.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations, you named exactly one. And that's even arguable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, there's no way that Andruw Jones was considerably better than anyone I named. whooo, 51 homers! with a .360 OBP and a .218 BARISP.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, fair enough, I even agree, but David Eckstein?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-10-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Could have been Barts decision to stay in the game. But many coaches would pull him to protect his numbers, I think?

[/ QUOTE ]

while i am sure that happens sometimes (but very rarely), managers pull pitchers because they think that's the best move to give the team a chance. i hardly think that colon would be pulled to protect his numbers. he'd be pulled because he didn't have his best stuff that day.

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, a low ERA almost ALWAYS means the pitcher gave his team a chance to win, but a high ERA could mean that pitcher gave his team a chance to win every single time but once.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is wrong. over 200+IP in order to raise the ERA by 1, the pitcher would need to give up 22+ runs over his normal average in that one bad outing. so, a pitcher like colon would need to give up 25 ER in a game. that's more than one bad outing. a bad outing can be when you give up 5+ runs, considering that you are probably not doing it over 9 innings either.

9 runs given up to ARod raised colon's ERA by at most .35, still waaaayyy over santana's ERA.