Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 01:03 PM

Default When, if ever, RR with AK PF?

Is this an open the pot hand but a call a raise hand PF?

For instance, in position (CO) hero picks up AKs.

However, minraiser in MP and a caller in front of hero. should Hero call and see a flop or raise to ~7x BB?

I feel i have been playing this hand too passively in this exact scenario? If there are only callers in front im obviously raising 4xBB + a bet per caller. But with minimal strength i find myself calling a lot. Seems weak. Thoughts?
Old 11-20-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: When, if ever, RR with AK PF?

Sometimes I reraise, sometimes I don't. Some factors that would lead me to reraise are:
-Relative position,
-Whether or not the original raiser figures to be on a steal,
-How much credibility I give to the original raise (i.e., I give less credibility to a minraise than to a normal sized raise),
-Whether I'm sooted or not,
-Whether I've been playing fast/slow,
etc.

Try both and see what works.

The Doc
Old 11-20-2005, 01:23 PM

I felt gross about picking up AKs with

min raise from UTG+2 1 caller in front of me and i call (barf) from CO. the more i think about it, the more i feel this was a super weak play.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:26 PM

Me myself dont consider a miniraise to represent much strength, thus, i do tend to re-raise with AK depending on the number of people that called the first miniraise.
With AK in position, i want to get it heads up or 3 handed. Out of position with many people calling the first miniraise, i raise enough to take it down right now.

Lets say i am i BB and it is folded to the dealer or the CO who just miniraises, then i'd just call out of the BB for several reasons:

-Deception
-the pot is small, taking it down right now doesnt make up for the fact that if you DO get called you will play the pot OOP with a drawing hand.
On the other hand:
A re-raise oop could be +EV depending on opponent as you expect to take it down often enough on the flop with a CB.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:32 PM

i definitely play the deceptive AK from OOp with a lot of callers as you described. I really dont like the "take it down right now" concept in SSNL cash games cuz more often than not you are gettinga couple of callers after you, sos i agree there.

but its the play of AK in position that i think ive become to complacent with.

on a side note. If you pick up AK suited in LP with several callers in front or a few minraise callers in front, do you consider wanting to play the pot multiway for the AK straight/flush potential, instead of its high pair possibilities?
Old 11-20-2005, 01:40 PM

in LP i always re-raise a minirase with callers holding AKs.

I save the flushpotential for the times when i have Axs.

I consider AKs to be a premium holding, and in position, i play it as such.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:01 PM

In general I re-raise a healthy amount with AK if someone mini-raises.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:56 PM

Your case is the perfect time to re-raise it.. You have position and it was a small raise.. Capitalize on your position and re-raise him.

Say he had raised to 4 or 5 timse the BB though, and gotten no other callers, now I may choose to just call and evaluate on the flop.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:20 PM

depends on mini-raiser

if mini-raiser is doing this often with holdings like K8s or 22-99, i will be re-raising him a lot, with a lot more

but yea, default play for me with AKs is to re-raise
Old 11-20-2005, 10:43 PM

I am more likely to reraise tight players than loose players (as long as they aren't so tight that their preflop raises is very likely to be a big pair). These players won't give much action postflop if they can't beat TPTK, so calling has little or no value. A reraise is likely to get them to fold some of their weaker holdings right away, and fold most of the rest on the flop.

On the other hand, I prefer to call against loose players since they will give action postflop with plenty of hands worse than TPTK, and building a pot preflop and then betting the flop unimproved could end up costing a lot of money when they call down with weak hands.