Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 11:30 AM

Default 2 Monstonian Draws; compare differences

Live $1-$2

Hand 1:

7-handed

UTG (~$325)
Hero (~$200)

UTG is new to the game. He’s been playing fairly tight, and is capable of launching bluffs. He’s quite aggressive and generally quiet.

SB is a fairly loose player.

BB is a weak-tight player.

Hero is CO with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Preflop:
UTG calls, folds, Hero calls, folds, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: ($8) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets $6, Hero raises to $15, folds, UTG calls

Turn: ($38) T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG checks,

Hand 2:

9-handed

MP1 (~$650)
Hero (~$200)

My image might be weak this session. I’ve shown down only one winning hand so far, but I’ve been involved in some pots where I’ve folded to aggression.

MP1 is a LAG, but has been showing fairly decent hands so far this session. I’m waiting for him to go on tilt so I can collect. He usually respects me.

Hero is MP2 with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop:
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, folds, SB calls, BB checks

Flop: ($10) K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG+1 checks, MP1 bets $15, Hero raises to $50, folds, MP1 thinks briefly and calls

Turn: ($110) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
MP1 checks,
Old 11-14-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: 2 Free Card Hands; compare differences

A very good post.

I'd say i'd be more inclined to give a free card in hand # 1 as you

-You induce bluffs from worse holdings by checking behind.
-you got a hand that you wish to show down. (so you can call if he bluffs the river)
-You draw to a hand that can beat any holding of his, including the ace.
-You could be beat allready, By checking behind you avoid being pushed of the hand.

But then again.... the things to keep in mind is that villain showed more strength in hand # 2 than in hand #1. perhaps taking a free card in hand #2 is the right thing as you probably dont got much fold equity.

I'll keep this question open as i second guessed myself on the end. However, i'll still keep the points there as it is some guidence whether to bet or not in situations similar to this one.

Comments?

Hand #2 i'd bet again.

In this hand, you are pretty sure you are behind as of now, he might be on the same straight or flushdraw for all you know.

By betting once more you:
-get worse holdings to fold.
-you set up a bluff on the river if you miss, you keep the initiative, letting you win the pot if he is on the draw.
-you build a pot if you hit.
-Sure. some might say that a check behind here, taking the free card is the right thing, as this is not a hand that you'd like to get pushed off. The problem is that you dont got anything to show down. If you check behind and you miss.. if he bets on the river, you cant just call.. you must raise, hoping to catch a bluff or fold - giving up the pot to a potentiall bluff.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: 2 Monstonian Draws; compare differences

i'd check behind in hand 1 because I think the likelihood of a checkraise is very high because of the well coordinated board...I think you probably need the spade to win, and I'm not even sure spiking a 9 wins it for you.

Hand 2 - i'd fire again due to your image. You can likely blow him off TP here and it's possible he's drawing like you are. If he calls you are building the pot for the river if you hit. You could also try the good 'ol checkraise all in as well.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: 2 Free Card Hands; compare differences

Hm, thats odd.. i'm dead on certain i edited the post. The below segment is supposed to come last in my post.
[ QUOTE ]
But then again.... the things to keep in mind is that villain showed more strength in hand # 2 than in hand #1. perhaps taking a free card in hand #2 is the right thing as you probably dont got much fold equity.

I'll keep this question open as i second guessed myself on the end. However, i'll still keep the points there as it is some guidence whether to bet or not in situations similar to this one.

Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and as a reason to bet in hand # 2. its supposed to be
-get better holdings to fold. of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 02:58 PM

what's the question? you should check behind in both hands and take the free card you bought with your flop raise.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what's the question? you should check behind in both hands and take the free card you bought with your flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 1 is a clear check behind. Hand 2 is debatable, but much closer to a bet.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:12 PM

hand number one i fire away again on the turn pretty sure to take the pot down here, if you face a raise i think i would be pushing over top having. Against an A is pretty close.

Hand two i think same concept applies. Fire again here and if he comes over the top i think you have enough equity to get your chips all in and against a pair your the favorite.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand number one i fire away again on the turn pretty sure to take the pot down here, if you face a raise i think i would be pushing over top having. Against an A is pretty close.

Hand two i think same concept applies. Fire again here and if he comes over the top i think you have enough equity to get your chips all in and against a pair your the favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand one I think he has an ace the majority of the time, and won't fold. Check and take the free card.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:08 PM

hand 1 i check.

hand 2 i probably check as well. what did the flop action tell you about his hand? would he ever fold a KQ/J to a turn push?

paul
Old 11-14-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what did the flop action tell you about his hand? would he ever fold a KQ/J to a turn push?

[/ QUOTE ]

He would never fold KQ/J in this spot. The flop action suggests a hand like flush draw, middle pair good kicker, or middle pocket pair. I'm not sure if he actually puts me on a K here. His flop call could be a "call to find out" sort of call.