Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2004, 05:08 PM

Default Looking for progression advice

I have been playing on line micro limit for a little while now. My goal is to get better at the game as well as earn a little money. At this point, I feel that it is more valuable in the long run to learn the game than to earn. However, I am married without a large disposable income.

My initial plan was to deposit a small amount ($100) and start playing $.50/1.00 (party poker) with some of the baby SNG tourneys mixed in. I figured that my skills and bankroll would increase in line with each other. Once I built my bankroll up to a safe amount (300 or so BB) I would move to $1/2, $2/4 and so on. I could see myself getting up to the $3/6, maybe $5/10, but not that interested in getting into anything too terribly big.

I am second guessing myself at this time. After playing a few hours a week for a few weeks. I am wondering if I am teaching myself bad habits. Most of the games I am playing at have half the table seeing the flop everytime. Even on some big raises. I have found that it is more profitable by playing many more hands than I would consider to be smart poker (this would never fly at our weekly home game, but that is usually pot limit).

Bascially I am wondering if I am better off moving up and taking my lumps learning to play the game the right way, or trying to learn the different levels and what works at them.

Kind of a Catch-22. I want to play against people that make sense, but of course I don't want to step into a lions den and get shreaded apart.

Any advice you can pass on would be appreciated.

Dave
Old 05-19-2004, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Looking for progression advice

[ QUOTE ]
Bascially I am wondering if I am better off moving up and taking my lumps learning to play the game the right way, or trying to learn the different levels and what works at them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are doing the right thing. You are learning how to beat loose games. The limits get tighter as you go up, ut one day you'll be at a $15/30 table that plays like the .5/1 games you play now and your experience playing loose games will come in handy.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:29 PM

I am married without a large disposable income.

Do NOT move up.

The games you describe are the easiest to beat online. You need to learn to beat these games consistently before considering tougher ones.

I suggest playing multiple $.50- $1 tables, and keeping your poker bankroll separate from other cash.

Play these games until you have recouped every dime you've put into online poker plus $400.

Withdraw whatever amount you've invested. Play on the winnings.

Then move to $1-$2. Play till you've bankrolled $1,200.

Meanwhile, read. Lee Jones. Gary Carson. S&M.

You've got your home game to keep your poker skills versatile, but you need to have the skill to make $ at these low limits.

Playing multiple games will make it easier to fold -EV hands, and shorten the time it takes you to move up if you are a winning player.

Good luck.
JTrout.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:33 PM

I suggest playing multiple $.50- $1 tables, and keeping your poker bankroll separate from other cash

I think multi-tabling is counter productive towards becoming more skillful, I do agree with the rest of your post however.

The amounts required to move up can be lowered if you are willing to take the chance that you may need to rebuy at some point, but I'd take them as 'given' as not rebuying is great for confidence.

Lori
Old 05-19-2004, 05:37 PM

Sound advice. Maybe you can bonus hunt a little too.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:12 PM

I started out on party playing the 25PL games. Then I moved on to the sit n go after party increased the blinds. For over 6 months, I had never played a limit game. PL has a great mix of the skills required in limit and NL.

I have still not moved up in limits though, I get bored with each game type, and move on to others.

I recently started playing Omaha and Omaha hi/lo limit and PL, as well as limit games, and multi-table tournaments.

I moved my money over to ultimatebet UB, in Nov their single table tournaments are much better for really learning to play since they give more chips and the blinds start lower. They also have limit games as low as 0.01/0.02 but they are usueless - the .25/.50 games are good not as maniacal as party. they have a good referal bonus, send me an email at jack@ass@att.net if you want a referal. I think you get $50 in bonus bucks for a $100 deposit, they also have 25% redosit bonuses most of the time, and you dont have to keep the money in to get the bonus.