Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 05-18-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Bad Turn....

5-10 6 handed party

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in SB

utg limps, co calls, Button Raises $40, I call, BB folds, utg calls, co calls.

FLOP: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I lead for $50, CO calls ($400 left)

TURN: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, He bets $100
Old 05-18-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Bad Turn....

I assume you have the table covered (or at least CO)? You don't mention the stack sizes.

Preflop: Eh, marginal call depending on stack sizes.

Flop: $50 into a $170 pot with a flush draw out there? I'd bet $120-$170 into the pot unless you have a read that a weak lead will induce a big raise.

Turn: Obviously the only way you're going to win the pot outright is if you make CO fold. I don't think you're going to make CO fold a likely stronger A here due to the preflop raise especially since a check-raise push is giving him a good price $670:$300. A push looks -EV here especially given that it's possible CO got a cheap peel with a 9 or could possibly have a house. I like a check-fold here.

I'd like to know the thought process of making a weak lead with top and bottom pair...

Garland
Old 05-19-2005, 12:02 AM

I think it's a marginal call preflop, especially out of position.

Bet more on the flop, beween 125$ and 150$ should do.

Really bad turn... In position that would be of less concern but 1st to speek after you lead the flop is not good at all. There's a great chance you just lost the lead so a bet is dangerous. But if he is on the draw, a check gives him either a free card of a strong spot to push you out...

Tough spot. I would cut my loses and check fold.

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2005, 12:08 AM

check-raise button on teh flop, I assume he is going to lead a lot of the time when he raises preflop. Probably be able to shut everyone out or get all of CO's money in on the flop.
Were you trying to entice button to raise you on the flop? too obvious if so I think.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:45 AM

clear fold. there is no way you can win this pot.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:53 AM

Crappy turn, unless you have a great read or something I'd fold.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check-raise button on teh flop, I assume he is going to lead a lot of the time when he raises preflop. Probably be able to shut everyone out or get all of CO's money in on the flop.
Were you trying to entice button to raise you on the flop? too obvious if so I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

i figure that if Button has AK, AQ hes gonna raise me on the flop; if he has a big pair hes not going to bet into 3 other players with an Ace on the board. if he riased with a hand like 99, who cares, he could easily have 88.

so i want to bet out, and hopefully, he raises with AK cause thats where the money is at, if i bet out 125, and the thrid suited card comes it'd have been just as hard to play then if i bet $50. id rather keep it small on the flop if i get action, and reevaluate the turn; the last thing i want is for this to get checked around.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:33 AM

button raised preflop, why would he not bet the flop? At worst it gets checked around and you bet the turn (non-relevant card) and get action cause no one gives you credit for what you have. Your bet just seems like its lacking. Like you said, you are only getting action if button has AK. So might as well bet 150 or pot or whatever it is and expect button to call. hell, then you can check the turn to him like you were trying to steal.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:20 AM

good points...

button will only bet with AK, improved hand, etc.

i dont want it checked around and 66 hits a set.

as for betting more, good points. but i still like my bet because i think betting bigger could let AT, AJ, Ax get away easily.

[ QUOTE ]
button raised preflop, why would he not bet the flop? At worst it gets checked around and you bet the turn (non-relevant card) and get action cause no one gives you credit for what you have. Your bet just seems like its lacking. Like you said, you are only getting action if button has AK. So might as well bet 150 or pot or whatever it is and expect button to call. hell, then you can check the turn to him like you were trying to steal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-19-2005, 05:06 AM

I think you oughta bet more on flop, pot size,maybe 3/4 pot sized, a CR is also good because if he has AK or something,he is obviously betting. I dont like the weak bet on the flop at all.Turn, check fold, possibly worst card you could see.