Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Ways of getting around an Office internet Proxy

Only asked because of Jaydub's last post. And from my experinces with IT people at three different jobs where all of them seem to have a bloated since of authority.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:23 PM

Meh. Lots of IT people are arrogant. To me, it's like some kind of postmodern priesthood... I know [censored] that you don't because I know how TCP/IP works. BFD. Mostly IMO this comes from poor dicks who can't get laid who will grab onto any shred of coolness they can think of.

I'm about to snooze for a bit to get ready for tonight's shift in the tank, but I'll mention the last deal like this that I was involved in.

We got an email from the head of the Network Security dept. that originated from Symantec. "We have determined that IP address so and so is running Kazza." So the guy forwards it to us, "Find out what the hell this address is." Our thought was: You're head of network security, it took you longer to forward this email than it would to track down this address, but whatever. We start a trouble ticket. We isolate the address, it's one of our servers. Uh oh. I forward the ticket to the server guys, "Hey, FYI, here's what we found out." Ticket comes back with a testy note about "Yeah, so what?" We forward that all on to the security guy and never heard any more about it.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only asked because of Jaydub's last post. And from my experinces with IT people at three different jobs where all of them seem to have a bloated since of authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

They frequently do depending on the company. It can be the typical above the law / policing others behavior.

That post in particular was just a way of reminding readers that they probably aren't as smart or original as they think. Plus I'm an ass [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 05:32 PM

LOL. I had to come back to this. Because yes, I wouldn't let you think you got a curve ball past me. I just wouldn't report you to the bosses about it.

I would SubSeven your ass and make your desktop screen turn upside down. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 06:10 PM

Secure port tunneling through ssh will get the job done. They'll be able to see you have an ssh session open to a remote machine, but as for what that session is doing there isn't much they can do unless they have direct monitoring software on your workstation, which few places do.

T
Old 09-14-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Secure port tunneling through ssh will get the job done. They'll be able to see you have an ssh session open to a remote machine, but as for what that session is doing there isn't much they can do unless they have direct monitoring software on your workstation, which few places do.

T

[/ QUOTE ]

I also recommend you put a sign over your workstation that says "I'm up to no good". The bolder the font, the better.

Seriously you twits are going to get someone FIRED.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Internet monitoring of employee surfing/e-mail is illegal except in certain circumstances. There are a few cases out there where employees have sued and won. The legal test for what is considered consent by an employee to monitoring is not clear cut.

FYI

[/ QUOTE ]

You are speaking out of your ass. Please stop before you get some unwitting person fired.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really have no clue. Until you've spent 6 months preparing briefs for a client who was fired for her internet use, just sit back and learn from me. Unlike my other posts, in this one I know exactly what I'm talking about. You guys think you can have an employee sign any agreement and then monitor his/her internet use at will? Yeah, the jurisprudence is that simple. Congress passed an act that said, and courts have ruled, "If an employee signs an agreement that their internet use may be monitored, then teh employer has free reign. No exceptions." Yeah right. Go to your local law library and find all the statutes and relevant cases on this subject (and read the enormous amount of literature in law reviews) and then come back to me and try to give me a simple-minded "yes/no" response.

Seriously, for poker players (who are supposed to reasonably intelligent), you disappoint me.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Until you've spent 6 months preparing briefs

[/ QUOTE ]

And billing for every second, too, I'm sure.

I'd rather just be aware that I'm running a risk when I surf non-work related sites, than make your M3 payment, thanks.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Until you've spent 6 months preparing briefs

[/ QUOTE ]

And billing for every second, too, I'm sure.

I'd rather just be aware that I'm running a risk when I surf non-work related sites, than make your M3 payment, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I made enough for an M3. I'm far from wealthy and I work in a place where don't bill by the hour (I'm one of the do-gooders). Hence why I play poker.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do IT guys get their rocks off by catching people?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but they get paid to find unusual network activity and investigate. Like ChipWrecked said, this will generate a flag for someone.

Bottom line, do not sh1t where you eat.