Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 06:45 PM

Default my wsop bust-out hand

Second level (50/100). I've been going up and down, about 2k here and there since the tournament started. I'm at 8-9k and see 99 from MP and raise to 300. The BB raises me 1300. He's been playing lots of hands. I think for quite a while and am leaning toward folding, but there is just too good a chance that he has AK or AQ. It doesn't seem like he really wants a call. I finally decide that there is just too good a chance that I have the best hand right now so I decide to call.

The flop comes JJ rag. I check. The BB takes his time and is clearly shaking. I'm pretty sure he either has a big hand or more likely hit the flop. He goes to drink his coffee as he ponders the play and has to put it down because he can't hold it. Hmmm. He throws in 500. I'm sure he has something good and I even say to him that I notice him shaking and he probably really likes his hand. No comment. I figure I'm behind, but it's just 500 more into a 3k pot so I don't feel I can stop now. The turn of course is my miracle card -- the 9. I have to put him on AJ or JJ, but if he really has JJ, so be it. I decide to go for the check raise, but he checks to. The river is a low rag. Now I know he'll bet, so I go for the check raise again. He bets 5k. Again, I just can't fold assuming he has JJ, so I put the rest of my chips in, about 7k. He turns over JJ for quads!

Now the fun starts -- yes, it's not over. The dealer starts to give back my 2k more as the guy is taking in the pot and I say wait a second. I pushed all my chips in and he didn't call me. He just turned over his cards -- are you guys following this?

The floor woman comes over and rules that when he turned over his cards and showed his hand his intention was clearly to call. But I said he never said call or even acknowledged my raise. Hey, I wasn't being a dick about it. I realize I was beat, but I just wanted a fair ruling. She rules that he gets all my chips, which I guess was the right thing to do. The funny thing was that I still would have had 2k left if I didn't saying anything. Oh, well.

Looking back on the hand, my mistake was clearly the preflop call. I can certainly agree that it was a bit weak, but again, the guy wsa playing lots of hands. The fact that he was in the BB was also a bit suspicious to me.

Now when he bet 500 on the flop warning bells also sounded, but could I really have folded to a 500 bet with 3k in the pot even if I thought he had the goods? I guess if I assumed he had a J then I was drawing to 2 outs so I didn't have the odds to call. Thoughts?
Old 07-09-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: my wsop bust-out hand

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

longest bad beat post ever.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:58 PM

Just posted in the wrong forum. Worthy of discussion IMHO. But doubtful many people in this forum care. =)

Nick
Old 07-09-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm at 8-9k and see 99 from MP and raise to 300. The BB raises me 1300.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I check. The BB takes his time and is clearly shaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
decide to go for the check raise, but he checks to.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The river is a low rag. Now I know he'll bet, so I go for the check raise again. He bets 5k. Again, I just can't fold assuming he has JJ, so I put the rest of my chips in, about 7k. He turns over JJ for quads!

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. The flop, turn and river actions indicate that you are first to act, but if you're in MP you should be last to act on all flopped streets.

Garland
Old 07-09-2005, 08:57 PM

ouch.. harsh ruling IMO. Change the hands to him flipping up an outkicked tripped ace being silent like an oyster. Would the floorperson rule him to have called your checkraise and be out of the game? I think not, and I think this ruling is a bad one unless the rules explicitly state that the power of the hand should be taken in account when showing your cards as response to a river raise.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:05 PM

Intent is taken into account. It was not his intention to fold the nuts. The ruling was correct.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ouch.. harsh ruling IMO. Change the hands to him flipping up an outkicked tripped ace being silent like an oyster. Would the floorperson rule him to have called your checkraise and be out of the game? I think not, and I think this ruling is a bad one unless the rules explicitly state that the power of the hand should be taken in account when showing your cards as response to a river raise.

[/ QUOTE ]are you retarded? the guy had the absolute nuts. the ruling was correct.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:37 AM

I think this is cleary a hand to either move in on pre-flop or given that you just call, to bet on the flop in almost all cases, especially with a scary board like that.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:58 PM

thanks for the replies. A few points:

- I posted this in the wrong forum. Had gotten busted out about 20 minutes before, so sorry for the mistake if my thinking was clear. This was not meant as a bad beat story at all. In the Tourney forums these posts are standard. People are interested in hearing about these things there.

- You're right. I was last to act. Again, if I got some of the details wrong so close to the bust-out, I apologize. I was a bit shell-shocked at the time.

- Clearly a preflop fold was a great option and I seriously was leaning toward it. The majority of the time I would fold here, but I just had a sense he had overcards.

- He bet out 500 and warning bells really should have went off. I felt he was nervous because of a super great flop for him, but if I really thought it through I would have realized that based on this preflop action there was no way I was ahead. If he had AK or AQ there was no way he would bet 500. He would have made a larger continuation bet or checked. Worst case I was facing 3 or 4 Jacks. Best case I was facing AA-QQ.

- Once the turn gave me a full house I was done. Of course I could have just called his bet on the river.

- On the floor call, I agreed with her. She basically said that if he turned over just a mediocre hand that best me (say I was bluffing) the ruling would have been different. But in this case he would clearly call. I could have argued that since the dealer never acknowledged my raise and I never said all-in, that I should get my 2k back. Oh, well.