Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 10:15 PM

Default 6-max vs 10-max myths?

care to comment on a few statements on 6-max vs 10-max:

1) preflop, strategy should be no different than if it were folded to you, at the same position relative to button. in other words, UTG play at 6-max is the same as if folded to you 3 off the button at 10-max.

2) never open-limp at 6-handed table or less.

3) postflop, play similar to 10-max. kickers for top-pair type hands can be de-valued somewhat.

just getting started at 6-max tables, wondering what adjustments i need to make. yes, i've searched these forums already, but just hoping to start a fresh thread up...
Old 06-15-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: 6-max vs 10-max myths?

For just starting out this isn't bad, but it's far from optimal.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:27 PM

The most successful 6max players I have watched play don't have anything set in stone, they are fluid (I think this is very important for 6max as the game/player conditions change so quickly) and most of the plays they make are completely opponent based and not cookie cutter.

OK, I take that back, the few 2+2ers I've seen play have a much more book/board approach to the game with dos and don'ts, probably because a lot of them multitable and learned from the forum. The one kid I know from school who hasn't read a book or this board ever is fluid, there are no rules and it is completely player dependent. I try to explain things like limp AKo early with a deep stack and he just laughs at me etc...he has made more money paying 1 table of 2/4 6max than a majority of the board. If I could go back I would learn poker the way he did. He treats it as a people game. Trying to apply rules etc just sets yourself up for disaster....
Old 06-15-2005, 11:54 PM

I haven't really played full, but I openlimp a lot in 6-max. I just like to see flops and judge from there.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:02 AM

I'm actually pretty new to 6-max as well. I have been adhering to the "never open-limp" strategy and I have some absolutely massive stacks as we speak so I'm gonna stick with that strategy. I think it gives you much more action when you hit legitimate hands as long as you can make proper folds. Although I have the lowest VPIP on most tables, I usually have one of the highest PFR's and as such, people don't think I'm a tight player. I have gotten all my chips in with the nuts against one pair so many times today.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The most successful 6max players I have watched play don't have anything set in stone, they are fluid (I think this is very important for 6max as the game/player conditions change so quickly) and most of the plays they make are completely opponent based and not cookie cutter.

OK, I take that back, the few 2+2ers I've seen play have a much more book/board approach to the game with dos and don'ts, probably because a lot of them multitable and learned from the forum. The one kid I know from school who hasn't read a book or this board ever is fluid, there are no rules and it is completely player dependent. I try to explain things like limp AKo early with a deep stack and he just laughs at me etc...he has made more money paying 1 table of 2/4 6max than a majority of the board. If I could go back I would learn poker the way he did. He treats it as a people game. Trying to apply rules etc just sets yourself up for disaster....

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think its near "distrastrous" to play by the book and go by a general set of rules. it may hurt you at higher limits (maybe 5/10 and higher) where your opponents are observant and will take advantage of your predictableness, but at mid-low limits you can go ABC and still be pretty succesful. even at higher limits im sure if you practice good table selection a straightforward style can still be successful. of course, even the most basic ABC style should still be player dependent to a degree--just have to use common sense.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:39 AM

you can be successful if you never open limp, but you can also be successful if you openlimp all day all the time. preflop in NL is pretty flexible.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I try to explain things like limp AKo early with a deep stack and he just laughs at me etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

As would I.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
care to comment on a few statements on 6-max vs 10-max:

1) preflop, strategy should be no different than if it were folded to you, at the same position relative to button. in other words, UTG play at 6-max is the same as if folded to you 3 off the button at 10-max.

2) never open-limp at 6-handed table or less.

3) postflop, play similar to 10-max. kickers for top-pair type hands can be de-valued somewhat.

just getting started at 6-max tables, wondering what adjustments i need to make. yes, i've searched these forums already, but just hoping to start a fresh thread up...

[/ QUOTE ]

WRT 2), if the table is loose but passive (you'll get 3 people calling your raises every time) open limping is good. If it's not, then open raising is good.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:30 AM

I just really don't like playing raised pots out of position.