Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Pot Equity value for different hands

Hi I'm new here and this is my first post.

I'm currently reading "Getting Started in Hold'em" by Ed Miller and finish reading the section on pot equity. It states that when your pot equity is much better than average you should raise for value, and mention that for Flush draw it is 35% on the Flop and down to 20% on the turn. What are the equity values for other hands like strait draw, I have made some searchs but can't fine any value for them.

Thanks,
Stephane
Old 10-30-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Pot Equity value for different hands

I'm gonna let someone else more qualified answer your equity question, but I wanted to say you are doing exactly the right thing by starting with miller's book. I think your next book ought to be Theory of Poker and then Small Stakes Holdem. Just my two cents.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:57 PM

Firstly, You need to learn the mathmatics(basic) behind it.

So if we have a flush draw WHICH HAS 9 OUTS(we assume these outs are clean and we know our opponents hold none of these cards)
9 Outs = 4.1:1 with ONE CARD.
9 outs = 1.9:1 WITH TWO CARDS (These figures are rough ok, no decimals or calculators used).

One Card:
4.1:1 (four point 1 TO one) = ONE IN 5.1
Converted to a percentage: 100/5.1 x1 = 19.6%

Two card:
1.9:1 (One Point 9 TO 1) = One in 2.9
Converter to a percentage: 100/2.9x1 = 34.4%

Ok, But let me show you a shortcut.
Take our OUTS(cards that help us/Win) = 9 in this case.

With one card we come, We X by 2 (Multiplay by 2):
9x2 = 18%(Equity)

With two cards to come, we x4 (Mutliply by 4):
9x4 = 36%.

YOU SEE HOW CLOSE THESE ESTIMATIONS ARE TO THE REAL THING? WE CAN DO THIS SIMPLE MATHS DURING THE GAME!!! AWESOME.

Now for a GUTSHOT STRAIGHT (E.g. We hold 67 and the board has 9TK(Nine Ten King).

WE NEED AN 8 TO WIN!

4 cards(8's) in the packet meaning we have 4outs.

With one card to come:
10.5:1 OR 1 IN 11.5 = 100/11.5x1 = 8.6%

With two cards to come:
5:1 or 1 IN 6 = 100/6 = 16.6

Now lets use our estimation method.

4outsx2 (One card to come) = 8% !
4outs x4(Two cards to come) = 16%.

To summarise,
We calculate Equity using mathmatics based on the outs we have. The numbers we use(Outs) we assume GIVE US THE WINNING HAND, if they do not.. our equity will be SIGNIFICANTLy reduced OR EQUAL TO 0.

You can of course calculate equity with 5outs(Thats equivelent to holding say 1 pair and needing to have 2pair to win the hand).

A3 on a 38K Flop Vs a guy with Kx ( x = insignificant card).

We have one pair, But we need two pair of trips to win.
Meaning 2outs to the 3(Wont always be 3outs, some guys could have a 3 in their hand, But im assuming they are "CLEAN". and 3 outs for the other aces.

Your challenge
Calculate the Equity for 2 cards to come, and 4cards to come with 5Outs(1 pair, Drawing to 2pair/Trips - Example shown above).

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:25 PM

thats good sh1t mang, i think even i learned something new.

but those odds about the gutshot can be kind of misleading. its calculated to be 5:1 on the flop. but that doesn't mean you can call with a gutshot on the flop getting 5:1 on your money. this is because if you call and don't hit on the turn, then you won't have the odds to see the river. so in reality, you can only call on the flop with gutshot if you are getting at least 10.5:1(i just do 11:1). just thought i throw that in there, holla.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:50 PM

Are you related to "Boom Boom" Bodreau? He was from NB too.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:12 AM

Default I haven\'t read this book but

since I'm in a hair-splitting mood . . .

Your pot equity with a flush draw is not 35% on the flop nor is it 20% on the turn.

Those are accurate %s for MAKING your hand; pot equity refers specifically to your chance of WINNING the hand.

If your flush draw is not to the nuts you could lose to a higher flush; even if it is to the nuts you could lose to a full house if the final board contains a pair.

I am not saying these draws should be folded; I'm not even saying it's wrong to be raising with them.

I just wanted to clear up a minor point that actually isn't that minor.

Think about a draw to gutshot non-nut straight when there is a 2-flush or pair on board.

If the pot is large enough it may be correct to draw to this miracle but your chance of hitting it - approx. 15% on the flop / 8% on the turn - is NOT the same as having pot equity of 15% /8% respectively.

Your pot equity is equal to:

When you are drawing (and therefore by definition not ahead) your chance of hitting your hand multiplied by the chance you'll win if you do hit.

When you are ahead - i.e. they are drawing - your pot equity is equal to the chance that none of them will "get there".

In actuality, unless your hand is unbeatable on the flop or turn you are always drawing; when you are ahead you are drawing to blanks that help none of those who are drawing/chasing.

I hope that helped.