Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: How Are People Getting By?

I agree that the poor in this country do live better than most of the world, though I still think you are overestimating how they live. I was mostly questioning this
[ QUOTE ]
This obviously doesn't speak for the homeless (the drugs and alcohol might)

[/ QUOTE ]

The majority of homeless people are not substance abusers.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:08 AM

Maybe not a majority but a much higher percentage of poor people are substance abusers than the general population
Old 08-13-2005, 01:12 AM

The average size of a house today is 2,100 square feet. In 1949, it was 900 square feet.

That certainly has something to do with it.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The average size of a house today is 2,100 square feet. In 1949, it was 900 square feet.

That certainly has something to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The average family size was much higher in 1949 than it is today. Smaller families living in larger houses.

Stu
Old 08-13-2005, 02:41 AM

One thing I have noticed is that people, at least in the United States, will try to work and earn as much as their stamina allows. People work longer hours today, but the work is much easier. Easier work means they will not fatigue as quickly.

The reason you see more women in the work place today is because housework has gotten so much easier(i.e. No need to wake up at 5:00am to stoke the oven).

I can't back it up with any proof, but I suspect that people are expending the same(perhaps less) energy working in and out of the home that they always have been.

Stu
Old 08-13-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I have noticed is that people, at least in the United States, will try to work and earn as much as their stamina allows. People work longer hours today, but the work is much easier. Easier work means they will not fatigue as quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this leads into obesity. 50 hours a week behind a desk lead to weight gain.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: How Are People Getting By?.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].gr8 post..

hey me and the missus make over 200k between us; and i am taking out a loan from my 401k to meet credit card bills...

lol

no, we are not suffering; and , actually, i am gr8full to be where i am at this point in my life...but i worry about the 50-70k housholds; filling up with 50-60 dollar gas/tank; buying a 20 oz soda at carryout for 1.35; paying over 100/month co-pay on medicines...blah/blah; it is a rare day that i do not spend over 100.00; just on "the small stuff"..

but, hey,,

it's gr8 to be an american..

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 12:40 PM

I think there are a number of reasons why there are more women in the workplace: declining fertility rates, increasing divorce rates, the rise in female-headed households (11% of the total in 1967, 17% in 2000), growth of the service sector in which women have historically been prominent, increasing levels of education for women, and the general changed role of women and outlooks towards women in society and the workplace. But I think the main reason is to make ends meet.

On educational attaintment, I though these numbers are interesting:

Educational Level Completed by People Age 25 and over:
1910: High school: 13.5% BA or Higher: 2.7%
1930: High school: 19.1% BA or Higher: 3.9%
1950: High shcool: 34.3% BA or Higher: 6.2%
1970: High school: 55.2% BA or Higher: 11.0%
1990: High school: 77.6% BA or Higher: 21.3%
2001: High school: 84.3% BA or Higher: 26.1%

Median Annual Income for All Workers 18 Years and Over by Educational Attainment, 2001:
Professional degree: $71,606
Doctorate degree: $63,952
Master's degree: $49,324
Bachelors' degree: $37,203
Associate degree: $28,563
Some college, no degree: $21,658
High school graduate: $19,900
Not high shcool graduate: $11,864
Old 08-13-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe not a majority but a much higher percentage of poor people are substance abusers than the general population

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a source on this??
Old 08-13-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: How Are People Getting By?.

Now that I know your household income, I would feel less gulity about pocketing that 10k you would trust me with. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

In general, I agree with your sentiments, scalf, and I do consider myself very fortunate; however, I know too many people who barely survive economically. My income is about one quarter of yours, and like many State employees, I haven't seen a raise in over three years. (BTW, the latest proposal is for a 4% raise with a 3% co-pay for health benefit costs, which amounts to a whopping 1% raise.) I love it when I hear how the economy is improving.

Nevertheless, I can feed myself, pay the mortgage, buy an occasional book or DVD (fortunatley, both tax deductable given my profession), and run the air conditioning when the heat index approaches 110 degrees as it is today. Not everyone in America has it so easy, and most around the world live an existence which I could not begin to contemplate.