Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Advice on this AK hand, please

You should have folded. You are not the favorite to win the hand, and there is almost no chance that the $500 raise guy will lay down his hand, seeing as he put 1/2 his stack on the raise. You are either beat by AA or KK or you are are a slight underdog 46/54 or whatever. Also since there were other raises in early position, there is a decent chance some of your outs (A/K) are already out in the players cards, meaning you are even more of and underdog.
The only real value to going all-in on AK is if you are on a short stack or if you have a good chance of stealing the pot before the flop. Since neither is the case, you should have folded. Calling would be the worst play, since he will out-flop you (assuming he holds a pair) 2/3 times and you will be inclined to fold if he bets the rest of his money on the flop. The only way I would call his raise or move all-in is if I had a short stack
less than his original raise say like 300 chips or something. In this case I would need to double up to stay in the tournament anyway, and unless he has AA you're not in terrible shape. You're hoping you are a coin toss and can get lucky. But otherwise, you should fold.

-J

-J