Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: VP$IP\'s and running

[ QUOTE ]
i think the hands i may be missing raises on are hands such as A8s on the button when MP or UTG limps. Is this an auto-raise? I almost always limp on this, and when i raise, i feel like im tilting, that's how guilty i feel. What about k10s on the button with a limper? this is another situation in which i limp most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think these are both raises, especially if UTG or MP is a loose, bad player.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:06 PM

Uh, I think you might be right ...
Old 04-15-2005, 04:07 PM

Default ummm...

excel is that you? this looks like another disguised "is higher VPIP better" post?

i am apologizing in advance, don't mean to insult legit posters.

also your roommate's VPIP is a joke.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:30 PM

How many tables do you play at a time?

If more then one then your doing very well. Just carry on what your doing.

Your win rate is top notch,

Theres no one way to play this game, playing differently preflop as some posters recommend may make you your post flop play different,

I agree with those that say if it aint broke dont fix it,

That may change if you move up limits, as you do obviously limp, and how you react to the added aggression at $10/$20 may cause you problems,

Theres always going to be questions over certain hands to play and how, thats why we are all here.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:21 PM

im playing 2 or 3 tables at any given time. the 20k hands is over a mediocre period of time... ive really only been playing poker since early january
Old 04-15-2005, 05:45 PM

My utg vpip is slightly over 21% atm. Altho, fwiw, I do think i could remove a hand or 2, but I think 20% is close to optimal UTG.

-Mike
Old 04-15-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My utg vpip is slightly over 21% atm. Altho, fwiw, I do think i could remove a hand or 2, but I think 20% is close to optimal UTG.

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you limp UTG at all? And don't you often get 3-bet, how do you handle these situations?
Old 04-15-2005, 06:07 PM

Im 21.5/21.2 from UTG, so no I almost never limp. On some tables I start to get 3bet a bit, in which case I either a) tone it down for awhile or b) find out whos raising light and respond accordingly, usually with more ace hi calldowns etc from first positions on non threatening boards.

-Mike
Old 04-16-2005, 05:39 AM

Your results are great then at 2-3 tables.

Sounds like you havent had a decent downswing, so that might change things a bit, but If I were you Id carry on and only make very minor changes to your game, make changes slowly, and look at your current hands stats in pokertarcker

You know you should be raising more, and over time, depending on how certain hands are performing for you, start either cutting them out or raising with them, some hands I feel are ok to limp, if you easy fold them when you miss the flop, however when you start raising with them you feel more married to them and end up losing more with them, these are the hands you either fold pre flop or raise instead of your current limping to much.

If you make big changes to your game, and start raising alot more, and this coinsides with a couple of bad cards sessions, it can screw your game up,
Old 04-16-2005, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I wish we could magically delete stat/winrate posts that have both winrate and hands < 50K. It gets a bit tiresome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although win rates are not reliable over low sample sizes, some statistics are quite close to their true values after very few hands (PFR and VPIP for instance). If posters are truly looking for help, I think it is important not to disregard their stats posts just because they haven't played enough hands. Responses to my stats posts have saved me a TON of time and pain. I am grateful to everyone that has helped me along the way more than you can possibly imagine. It is amazing the impact that these posts can have on a player's success or failure.

Cartman