Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 12:18 PM

Default VP$IP\'s and running

im VP$IP approx. 29 through 20k hands, almost exclusively Party 5-10 (6 max), and right now i'm pulling about 3.94BB/100. Is this VP$IP standard for 6 max play, or should i tone it down or up a little. I've also noticed, after reading a recent post, that my VP$IP for UTG and UTG+1 are 22 and 23, respectively. are THESE high?

In general opinions, can higher than 'acceptable' VP$IP's work in the long run (if mine is in fact high) or am I just running well? I'd prefer to know sooner, rather than later, because my roommate played 5-10 and 10-20 both 6 max with a VP$IP around 45. He had an enormous win rate for about 30 or 40k, and then lost his whole bankroll in about a month.

smack
Old 04-15-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: VP$IP\'s and running

If you're consistenly winning 4 BB / 100 hands then you should be very careful not to change anything heh. That's awesome.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:28 PM

Be careful. 20k is statistically almost meaningless at 6-max. Look for Schieds graph on his breaking even for like 30k some odd hands.

Otherwise...awsome job. What are your PFR and Aggro numbers?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:30 PM

It does sound high, but if it ain't broken.....

There does seem to be anecdotal evidence that a very LAG style can be very profitable at the 6 max, but nobody seems to be able to provide any solid evidence or sound theory. Perhaps you could be the one... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

"with a VP$IP around 45. He had an enormous win rate for about 30 or 40k, and then lost his whole bankroll in about a month."

I have heard this story several times.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:31 PM

pfr = 10.21... aaaand i dont know how to get the aggro numbers. im rather new to this whole collecting and analyzing stats with poker (im actually rather new to poker in general) so, maybe a little help with aggro numbers?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pfr = 10.21... aaaand i dont know how to get the aggro numbers. im rather new to this whole collecting and analyzing stats with poker (im actually rather new to poker in general) so, maybe a little help with aggro numbers?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty low PFR% . . . but hey, you're winning, for the moment.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:37 PM

I'm pretty convinced a higher VP$IP than what is usually regarded as "optimal" around here can be very profitable. I'm just naturally tight and my postflop play isn't that great, so I can't try it out myself, and nobody else seems to be able to provide any solid evidence.

Also important to consider is how many of those 20K hands have come from tables with less than 6 players. Obviously, if you've got a lot of 3- or 4-handed play, your VP$IP is going to be higher. Care to break down your VP$IP by players at the table?

Other than that... don't change a thing you're doing and come back in 30-40K hands. You're doing well so far.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:43 PM

You are running hot. I think your going to experience the negative side of variance reasonably soon. I'm 95% certain that you can't play 20% of your hands UTG profitably. Your PFR% stinks. I'd look at your run of cards as a gift from the random void. Use that gift to get better. (Keep playing post hands and read everything)

I don't see why everyone says keep doing what you are doing. You have holes in your games. Win rates mean nothing. Keep trying to improve.

Krishan
Old 04-15-2005, 12:45 PM

i dont have enough hands for smaller tables to give good numbers, but here they are. HU = 41.47. 3-Handed = 39.55. 4-Handed = 33.23. 5-Handed = 28.49. 6-Handed = 26.46. About half the total hands are 6-handed. And 15k are either 5 or 6 handed.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:47 PM

pfr = low? or what? 'stinks' is negative but not in the slightest constructive.